5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 3:59 AM by smalldog

ePO 4.0 -> 4.6 and exceeding our # of licenses

djpenn

We are upgrading our ePO server from 4.0 to 4.6. Right now, we have approximately 25,000 licenses but we may be short a few. What will happen if we exceed the limit our grant # currently allows? The concern is that perhaps the clients exceeding the license threshold will potentially become unmanaged. I have not been able to find documentation on this except for Endpoint Encryption (SafeBoot), SaaS Encryption, and Vulnerability Manager (Foundstone). We have an extremely heterogenous environment with multiple OSes and McAfee products installed, and virtuals entering and exiting Active Directory constantly. Does anyone have any idea or can you point me to the correct KB docs??

• 1. Re: ePO 4.0 -> 4.6 and exceeding our # of licenses
          JoeBidgood

In the short term, and if you're only a few over the licence limit, you should be fine. ePO does not strictly enforce the licence limit - instead a more gentle approach is taken

Your machines will not change to unmanaged.

HTH -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ePO 4.0 -> 4.6 and exceeding our # of licenses
            djpenn

Thank you, Joe! This certainly helps... But what is "short term" and "a few"? I hope it's all relative... because I probably should have said we are potentially up to "a few thousand" licenses short. But we have no way to see under our current ePO 4.0 server if we are out of compliance. We will certainly purchase more when we find out, but we don't want to find out the "hard way" with ePO 4.6... But more importantly, is this documented anywhere? I would like to have something to send/ point to the people who tasked me with finding this out. I expect quite a few requests for clarification...

Thanks again

Josh

Message was edited by: djpenn on 5/11/12 2:47:54 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: ePO 4.0 -> 4.6 and exceeding our # of licenses
              JoeBidgood

Thank you, Joe! This certainly helps... But what is "short term" and "a few"?

Unfortunately I don't know for certain - this is up to the licensing folks. Rest assured though that it's not going to suddenly stop working or make your machines unmanaged: I would imagine that the most alarming thing that would happen would be a polite phone call from the licensing team

My suggestion would be to get in touch with your sales contact - they should be able to tell you exactly what you're licensed for, and you can then plan accordingly.

Regards -

Joe

• 4. Re: ePO 4.0 -> 4.6 and exceeding our # of licenses
                djpenn

Well thanks again, Joe. We will contact our sales rep.

• 5. Re: ePO 4.0 -> 4.6 and exceeding our # of licenses
                  smalldog

I think McAfee should be limit system to be managed base on Grant Number. Some customers buy 1000 but still can use for 2000.