1 Reply Latest reply: May 8, 2012 4:19 AM by Peacekeeper RSS

McAfee and Malwarebytes

I have MSN Premium with McAfee and McAfee reported no virus; however my computer was running very slow.  I also had the free version of Malwarebytes.

I downloaded a program Speedy PC Pro and when I tried to activate it a tech. checked my computer and said that was not the program I needed.  He said I had a virus and should get the registered version of Malwarebytes and that I needed a Tune UP.  At this time I was under the impression that McAfee and Malewarebytes Pro would work together and I got it along weith the Tune UP. After the tune up a tech told me McAfee and Malwarebytes  can be a problem.  My computer is working somewhat faster now but still seems to get stuck at times.  Had several McAfee host errors and after restarting my computer tray had message McAfee may be out of date (what opened was blue rather than green screen and when I checked the Windows firewall it was off.  I turned it on.  Then McAfee appeared on tray and when I clicked it I got the regular green menu and everything seemed to be OK..  I was told the reason McAfee did not catch the virus was because I had a free version.  I do not believe this to be the reason.  It is my understanding that McAfee sometimes does not catch the virus. At the time I purchased the Malwarebyte bytes I mentioned maybe I should reinstall the operating system saying I did this recently once before but still my computed was slow.  He said something to the effect that I could reinstall the operating system and the virus could still be there.  Another tech said something to the effect that only if it was in the printer.   

Also if I were to get rid of McAfee I would not have a Firewall.  A tech told me Windows has a Firewall (I have it enabled) ;however I was under the impression that the McAfee Firewall performs a different function.

Can you enlighten me about the use of the MSN with McAfee along with the Malwarebytes Pro.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: McAfee and Malwarebytes

First Malwarebytes Pro will clash with Mcafee guaranteed. MWB pro has a real;time scanner and when it and Mcafee try to check teh same file things happen. The free 1 works fine with Mcafee IF you install it after Mcafee as Mcafee objects to it being present.

Are you saying that MWB alone is better than both together? MWB is a backup seebelow from 1 of the MWB developers

· As far as why MBAM is very good at dealing with this infection, that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem to be having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some waybypassed.
          Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future.  MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to its core app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

Try a couple of the scanners mentioned here especially stinger and getsusp.

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Did the registered version actually find anything? I thought both detect the same just the pro is doind it in real time.

You got XP? Also by Mcafee host you mean Mcafee host (mchost.exe) or mcsvhost?

Finally what are your PC specs. Cpu  and ram?