3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2012 10:44 AM by Peter M

Manual Removal of VSE version not shown

Hello,  I've inherited a network where our audit software is showing installations off McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise that needs to be removed.

The first machine I looked at does not have the product in add/remove or program files

There are McAfee entries scattered throughout the registry including one from HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\mferkdk with an entry ImagePath Reg_expand_SZ with Data \??\C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\mferkdk.sys

My audit sofware is indicating versions installed

8.0.0 and 8.6.0

I found the following link:  https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52648

It shows 8.0i but I don't know if we have the i version installed

It does not show how to uninstall for version 8.6

Guidance would be greatly appreciated especially if can point me to an automatic removal tool

David

• 1. Re: Manual Removal of VSE version not shown

Want to add these are windows machines.

In searching the Web I see 8.6 is for Mac so don't understand why reporting I have 8.6 on a windows server.

I just tested the document to remove a 8.0 installation and other than the service McAfee Common Framework service which froze when trying to stop I'm not finding half the entries that is requested of the document.

How can I remove so I'm in compliance with software licensing.  If McAfee doesn't provide a way to remove their program how can I stay compliant by not having their software on my systems.

Message was edited by: sunkistdavid on 5/7/12 4:37:29 PM CDT
          • 2. Re: Manual Removal of VSE version not shown
            sbenedix

Appears like "orphaned"/broken installations of the respective VSE product. 8600 refers to VSE 8.5. If there are just a couple of machines the following KBs will help:

KB50602 - for VSE 8.5

KB58597 - for VSE 8.0

There are KBs for 8.7 and 8.8 as well in case they are required, they can be located searching the Knowledgebase. If you can identify a commonality (always reg key xyz is present) you can script the removal and it can be applied to not only a single box but a lot of machines.

There is no automatic removal tool available :-(. (there is but if the installation is broken beyond a certain point, msiexec not working anymore etc, it will most likely fail as well, the tool has to be run manually and can be acquired through McAfee support)