1 Reply Latest reply on May 4, 2012 6:46 AM by Peter M

Install 2012 total protection from CD

Hello all, just joined this forum and found there are many knowledgable people around, I, on the other hand is a complete numpty (and getting on a bit), know very little about PC's so hope someone can help.

I have had Mcafee total protection for many years with no problems, I ALWAYS buy the CD and have been lucky enough to have a friend install it for me, this friend is no longer around and as my subscription is nearing the end this year the 2012 version I will have to have a go of doing it myself!!.  My question is: do I just put the CD in the tray and will it automatically install itself over the 2011 version or would I have to (God forbid!) uninstall the 2011 version (something that fills me with dread).  If it's just a matter of putting the CD in then no problem although I do understand I will have to enter a product key to link it to my Mcafee account, sorry to sound so thick (my 10 year old grandson would have no problem but unfortunatly lives over 300 miles away) any help or advice would be most appreciated, Thank you in anticipation.

• 1. Re: Install 2012 total protection from CD
          Peter M

I know what you mean about 'getting on' and the people you relied upon not being around any more. ;-)

Provided it's the same kind of suite, Total Protection in your case, I see no problem simply installing over the top.

The product key entry system is simple.

You can activate your CD key from http://www.mcafee.com/mtp/retailcard

Go to the website and choose the country and enter the CD key

Click on Submit and follow the on screen instruction to activate the product.

Once it completed you can un-install and re-install the product from your McAfee account online.

If you ever need to uninstall the procedure is laid out here:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Technical Support is always available free of charge via phone or online chat through the link under 'Useful Links' at the top of this page, as is Customer Service (for any account questions).