Obviously having read through a few posts this is not a new topic. It is however a new topic for me. I have used McAfee for many years and this has not previously been an issue.
The other posts haven't really provided definitive answers and I feel that I need to know what is going on and what action to take.
So here are my questions/observations:
1. Why suddenly after many years trouble free usage of McAfee is McAfee using up all my CPU and causing the computer to becoming unusable?
2. McAfee recently updated itself Version 11.0 Build 11.0.654. Whether this is the cause of the problem is unknown.
3. Switching real time scanning of has reduced CPU usage from a constant 100% to between 6% and 15% giving me back my machine.
4. Is it actually necessary for McShield.exe to be running constantlt?
5. If you are running Windows 7 is the malware remover not fulfilling the same function?.
6. Why is this function which one assumes is meant to run unobstrusively in the background suddenly taking over the whole machine.
7. What equivilant programs are available that run efficiently.
8. Does McAfee have a solution. One assume that this is their A1 top priority but looking at the posts going back over a significant period it appears that this is a wrong assumption! That seems extraordinary.
I would suggest that there is very little point in paying to be protected from hackers when the protector makes your machine unuseable!
Ok an update.
After spend 3-4 hours looking at this on the evening on the 3/5/2012
Started looking at this at 07:15 on the 4/5/2012.
- Turning real time scanning off does not stop McShield On Access Scanner service from continuing to take 94% of CPU it does however cause McAfee to warn that the computer is unprotected.
- I ran virtual technician. This took 1.5 hours to find that the DAT file was not up to date and that there was registery entry amiss. ..... Systemcore\vscore\on accesss scanner\mcshield\configuration smooth working extensions.
- I asked technician to fix. This took a further 40 minutes.
- restarted - exactly the same.
- did a chat session - as expected did an uninstall reinstall. - Nil effect McShield still running at between 84% and 95%
- entered a second chat session seeking advice. None was forth coming.
- I intend therefore to stop the service from the task manager so that I can regain control of my machine.
- They say a teir 2 resource will ring with 24 hours. Which whilst useful does not resolve the immediate issue. i.e. I need to use my PC !!
Message was edited by: codepuppy on 04/05/12 05:00:14 CDT