8 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2012 9:23 PM by Peacekeeper

Two completely different IP Addresses on my Network

McAfee (AT&T Internet Security Suite) shows two completely different IP Addresses on my Network.  This is under PC Home and Network Tools and My Home Network. 

The IP Address under My Network is now 75.50.150.88.  My CMD prompt after I do an IPCONFIG /ALL will be 75.50.144.151.  The later seems to be correct but the "My Network" is invalid in my opinion.  The Zone Alarm pop up window has my public IP as 75.50.144.0 as well.  The issue is NOT the cosmetic issue of a reverse IP Address, which has happened on my computers but these are again completely different.  Also I should mention that I have had at least four attempts for an outside connection which were blocked by McAfee e.g. Risky Connections. 

Times repeated: 2

ISP: SBC through AT&T High Speed Internet

• 1. Re: Two completely different IP Addresses on my Network
          Peacekeeper

The Ip of the gateway should be what is shown on the base of the router all mine router/gateway and PC are the standard 192.168etc IPs.

Is this something AT&T specific have you asked their tech support about the IPs?

Have you actually setup a network ever?

Also are you actually running 2 firewalls?

This a tad confusing so best thought would be you call Mcafee tech support and ask their thoughts. I would assume you will nee dto escalate this higher than level 1 techs.

• 2. Re: Two completely different IP Addresses on my Network
            exbrit

Are you using Zonealarm firewall?    You could experience problems because McAfee SecurityCenter has 2 compulsory components - antivirus and firewall and no other antivirus or software firewall should be installed.

That IP address would normally be your router, if you have one, or your modem if that's the next thing the machine is connected to.  As Tony said, your ISP can help you there.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/04/12 9:11:09 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: Two completely different IP Addresses on my Network

Thank you both.  I disabled the Zone Alarm which has firewall/phishing etc.  The issue persists only now I do have a 192.168.x.x again for "My PC" and 75.50.156.48 for "My Network" which is actually a standard DSL Modem.  I say this because typically it is the same 192.168.x.x for both.

Where as with the Zone Alarm active the "My PC" has a random Public IP e.g. 75.50.144.151 as in the original post.  I do have IT Support training in setting up an office Cat. 5 network w/ VPN tunnel and with static IPs for a small office.  I need to upgrade or have my small business network setup properly.  Any suggestions for a hardware firewall?  I will relay this to the At&T / McAfee technical support.

Message was edited by: cipherdev on 5/1/12 12:48:25 AM CDT
              • 4. Re: Two completely different IP Addresses on my Network
                Peacekeeper

A router shows 192 etc there I thought a modem shows the actual IP you are given. Haven't used a bare modem in 12 yeras so not sure here maybe Peter cab add a comment.

If the modem IP is what you get from AT&T If it was static Ip I would delete this pic asap as they give away your IP address but they seem to change. Is this correct ie you have a dynamic Ip address? If they are the same every boot edit the pics to blank out the numbers.

So all you show now is the reverse IP bug that affects nothing just stresses people or are you saying it should be 192 for both?

• 5. Re: Two completely different IP Addresses on my Network
                  exbrit

I have never used just a bare modem either I'm afraid so can't help there.   Make sure that McAfee's firewall is installed and on.  

Plus what I don't know about networks and VPN in particular would fill volumes.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/05/12 7:15:24 EDT AM
                  • 6. Re: Two completely different IP Addresses on my Network

My public IP is dynamic from the ISP so no worries on the numbers I showed here.  I plan to upgrade to a wired router so I can have hardware protection as well. 

Main issue:

The Zone Alarm was not the problem as I still have two 75.x etc numbers and my IP Config only shows one is valid.  I've since made sure there's no conflicting firewalls by not having it run on startup.  The invalid number seems to be what's represented as the Modem.  My only solution may well enough be to put in a new router.

Cheers.

• 7. Re: Two completely different IP Addresses on my Network
                      exbrit

That would be one reason - I'm not too familiar with the workings of dynamic IP's but just make sure that you are only running one software firewall, either Zonalarm or McAfee but not both as they could feasibly clash and let something in.

• 8. Re: Two completely different IP Addresses on my Network
                        Peacekeeper

I would remove it (zonealarm) to be sure it is not loading anything.