3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2012 11:04 AM by exbrit

Is there a virus or malware out there that is targeting McAfee's AOL Security Center Firewall?

Is there a virus or malware currenly circulating that attacks McAfee's AOL Security Center Firewall? I was unable to connect to the internet this morning. I checked with my IP and they told me nothing was wrong with my connection. So I tried to open my firewall settings and was unable to access the settings. So I deleted the McAfee AOL Security Center software and tried again. I was able to connect to the internet again. I downloaded the software again and I can now access my firewall settings. I suspect this was a virus because I had my password stolen for my AOL account. AOL told me that it was a password virus. McAfee's Security Center Virus Scan did not detect it. Any ideas about the firewall issue? Thanks

• 1. Re: Is there a virus or malware out there that is targeting McAfee's AOL Security Center Firewall?
          exbrit

I don't know of malware specifically targetting AOL but I do know that there some nasty things out there that unfortunately can get through any of the regular antivirus applications, no matter what brand.

There is an epidemic right now of fake anti-malware scareware/ransomware which no antivirus can stop because of the way it works, requiring user interaction even if it's so little a thing as clicking a Close or an 'X" to clear it off the screen to activate and then it's too late.

For some tips and extra software that may be useful check here:  Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/04/12 11:11:15 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Is there a virus or malware out there that is targeting McAfee's AOL Security Center Firewall?

Thanks Peter. Here is some other information concerning emails and regular mail. I received some emails from "Secret Shopper". Deleted them and then received a check the following day sent overnight by FedX. It contained a certified check for nearly $3,000. I took it to my local post office. Needless to say it was fraudulent so they are passing it on to the postal inspector's office for investigation. What they want you do is deposit it to your bank account so they can get your account number. Another form of phishing. The post office said there is a lot of this going on now. Also I had my debit card information stolen and a couple of charges were made on line to Apple ITunes. I talked to my bank's claims department and they told me one of the ways that my bank card information could have been stolen was by wireless card reader. All the perpetrator has to do is get within 30 feet of you to scan all your cards that have a RFID chip or magnetic strip on them. A way to thwart this is by lining your wallet with aluminum so that it also covers the ends of the cards. I used a heavier mil of aluminum foil to line my wallet. The mil that is used to make those disposable roasting or pie pans. Banks don't seem like they want to inform their customers of this issue. Just a lot more fraud going on now that is effecting more people.

• 3. Re: Is there a virus or malware out there that is targeting McAfee's AOL Security Center Firewall?
              exbrit

There is a lot of fraud going on centered around rigged ATM and Point-Of-Sale machines where fake card readers get the info and hidden cameras record the pin - be very careful and ask your bank and other institutions to issue chip cards rather than the old simply magnetic stripe ones.  I don't think the foil will do anything to prevent scanning but just be careful where you shop and change all of your online passwords.   Best listen to what your local bank and police have to say on the subject.

The banks here are willing to advise on this matter but most of what I hear on TV and radio comes from the police.   The most recent one I saw was a warning not to use any independent ATM machines, only use ones attached to known institutions - banks, Visa/M'Card/Cirrus/Interac etc. etc.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/04/12 12:04:32 EDT PM