2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2012 3:38 PM by erase*.*

Detections: When to re-image machine

ottawa_tech_31

I am curious, so I figured i`d start a thread..

What are peoples general criteria as to what do do with machines when you get a detection.

How do you rate a detections to be clean enough to leave the machine there versus when do you ask your helpdesk to re-image the machine?

For example, I had a box with the ZeroAccess rootkit, and VSE says it cleaned up, but with rootkits, I generally want the box re-imaged anyway, just in case.

How are different people handling detections?

• 1. Re: Detections: When to re-image machine
          Arjen

I think that is depending on the time it takes to re-image a machine and how long the user will be without a machine.

If the user gets a replacement machine, re-imaging can be started faster than when this affects the time the user cannot work.

• 2. Re: Detections: When to re-image machine
            erase*.*

Depends on the status of the detections & the severity of the threat; if the threat was cleaned successfully, I will just keep an eye on the machine for a few days to ensure there are no further dectections.  Usually I'll kick off full scans remotely on machines that have detections to be on the safe side. 

If a machine continues to report detections and additional hands-on mitigation doesn't eliminate the issues, the machine is reimaged.

Message was edited by: erase*.* on 4/27/12 3:38:42 PM CDT