3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 6:02 PM by exbrit

Microsoft - McAfee Conflict?

After installing last Microsoft update for Windows Vista on April 11, 2012, Microsoft User Account Control (UAC) will not let me udate McAfee, or udate, download or change any program on my computer.  When I try (in Administrator account) UAC window comes up and asks if I want to continue.  When I click Continue the monitor grays out and computer freezes.  Anyone know what might be causing this?  I have posted problem on Microsoft forum and both MS Engineer and Users pointed me to McAfee.  I have McAfee Total Protection 2010.

• 1. Re: Microsoft - McAfee Conflict?
          exbrit

That is weird.  I have two Vista Ultimate SP2 x64 OS's - both protected by McAfee Total Protection and haven't seen anything like that, but I operate as an Adminstrator-level user, not sure if that could be a contributary factor?  If there is no evidence of an infection I suggest you open a case with Technical Support - it's free and available via phone or online chat, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Edit:  One thing I just noticed...McAfee 2010?????   It should at least be 2011.  Can you call up SecurityCenter by double-clicking the taskbar icon and then click 'About" or Navigate and then About depending on version.   Post the version number for SecurityCenter and VirusScan.

Who provides your McAfee software?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Microsoft - McAfee Conflict?

McAfee says everything is fine.  However, I haven't been able to ensure I do not have a virus.  When I run McAfee Full Scan it locks up after about 2 hours.  When I try to run any other program Microsoft User Account Control locks up my computer as I stated above.

Went to "About" as you suggested and found the following info:

Security Center: Version 11.0, Build 11.0.654, Affld 0-908, Last update 1/22/2012.

VirusScan: Version 15.0, Build 15.0.294, Last update 4/24/2012.

Didn't realize that it updated to 11.0 back in January.  I'll open a case with Technical Support as you suggested and report back.  Microsoft wants me to uninstall and reinstall McAfee - not sure I want to go there yet.

Renewed McAfee Total Protection direct with McAfee on November 9, 2011.

Thanks!

Message was edited by: mrfixitfmt on 4/26/12 5:51:35 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: Microsoft - McAfee Conflict?
              exbrit

Yes, you've got 2011 version so that at least is OK.   Try running for example Stinger and Malwarebytes Free both linked here:  Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools