1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 25, 2012 1:49 PM by rmetzger

A Write command during the test has failed to complete. This may be due to a media or read/write error?

pankajs

i have attached the attack print screen kindly provide your solution  ASAP.

• 1. Re: A Write command during the test has failed to complete. This may be due to a media or read/write error?
          rmetzger

pankajs wrote:

i have attached the attack print screen kindly provide your solution  ASAP.

BleepingComputer has a thorough explaination of how to remove S.M.A.R.T. HDD malware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-smart-hdd

I would suggest using another PC to download the rkill.exe, unhide.exe, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (free version), and TDSS-Killer utilities to a removable HD or flash drive for use on the infected PC.

In Bleeping Computer's description of this malware are 23 steps needed to remove this malware. I would strongly recommend printing this set of instructions, then reading it in it's entirety Several Times, to be sure you understand what you are doing. Any questions can be answered before doing anything that you are not comfortable doing, without help.

Finally, DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH CAN, REMOVE ANY FILES, OR RUN AND 'CLEANERS', as this may damage your ability to recover files that may have been 'hidden' in an attempt to extort money from you.

Once the infection has been cleared and all else seems normal, I would strongly recommend fully updating your system.

The number one thing you can do to keep your system safe in the future is to Keep your system up to date with all software.

Recent attack vectors include Adobe, Apple, and Oracle products in addition to Microsoft products.

For Microsoft products, use Microsoft/Windows Update and ensure that all (and I mean All) security updates are installed. Microsoft Office, SQL, .Net Framework, and many others should be included. Though you may not have intentionally installed them, other software may have, and updates are therefore required. Make sure to check 'Recommended' updates as well.

For Adobe products, if installed, get the latest versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Flash (both ActiveX and Plug-in versions), and Adobe Shockwave.

For Oracle products, get the latest version of Java. Unfortunately you may have to manually disable older versions Java to properly secure your system.

For Apple products, if installed, get the latest version of iTunes and QuickTime.

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger (Added post cleaning instructions) on 4/25/12 2:08:50 PM EDT

on 4/25/12 2:45:10 PM EDT

on 4/25/12 2:49:33 PM EDT