4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 10:46 AM by giangi

Mcafee Installation Designer 8.8 64bit?

Hi

as the heading suggests, is there a 64bit vesion of the installation designer available, we have epo 4.6 and vse 8.8 but they're installed onto a 64 bit server and currently unable to produce an installation package as the version of the designer we have is 32bit, i've read somewhere there is a 64bit program, but as of yet ive been unable to lcoate it.

any pointers would be appreciated.

thanks

• 1. Re: Mcafee Installation Designer 8.8 64bit?

so this question has been read 54 times and no one has any inclination of whether a 64bit installation package designer exists or is on the way ?

• 2. Re: Mcafee Installation Designer 8.8 64bit?
            hem

As per the product guide, you can't install it on 64 bit machines but if you install it on 32 bit machine and package created for VSE can be  installed on both 32 bit and 64bit OS.

May I know the issue you are facing when you install MID package created on 32 bit machine and installing on 64 bit machine?

For details, please refer to product guide #: https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 23000/PD23073/en_US/mid_88_product_guide_en-us.pdf (page 5).

The snap is below.

-----------

What’s new in this release?

This release of McAfee Installation Designer supports the following:

• Installing VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 product package and settings files

• Installing VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 patches and hotfixes

• Installing McAfee Installation Designer on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 (32-bit

only)

Note:

You cannot use MID on 64-bit systems, but the packages it produces are meant for any operating system supported

by VirusScan Enterprise, including 64-bit systems.

Message was edited by: hem on 1/5/12 3:39:30 PM IST
            • 3. Re: Mcafee Installation Designer 8.8 64bit?

Hello,

sorry for digging up this old thread, but it seemed like the most adequade one about the topic...

I just stumbled over the very issue.  Problem for us is that in fact we don't have any 32-bit system available to run MID on.  So the above answer is all but satisfactory Is there any hotfix available for this?  After all, a 64-bit system is very much able to run 32-bit software, so no need for MID to be 64-bit itself...

Thanks for fixing this sorry limitation,

Malte

• 4. Re: Mcafee Installation Designer 8.8 64bit?
                giangi

I know this is an old topic... but...

MID 64bit is mandatory for a very simple problem: VSE is installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee

• When VSE is installed on a 64bit Access protection rules have VSE's paths predefined as "C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee"

I.E. for Prevent modification of McAfee files and settings the processes to exclude contains: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\csscan.exe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\dainstall.exe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mcshield.exe, C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\mcadmin.exe, C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\mcconsol.exe, etc

• When VSE is installed on a 32bit Access protection rules have VSE's paths predefined as "C:\Program Files\McAfee"

I.E. for Prevent modification of McAfee files and settings the processes to exclude contains: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\csscan.exe, C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\dainstall.exe, C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mcshield.exe, C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\mcadmin.exe, C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\mcconsol.exe, etc

• When I add a process to exclude into the MID, running obviously on 32bit, the complete list is saved so all the paths are referenced as "C:\Program Files\McAfee"!!!

Of course these path are wrong on a 64bit machine and this will trigger the action defined into the rule!!!

Isn't this a valid reason for having a 64bit MID or to be able to install it on a 64bit machine????