Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
6303 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 21, 2012 7:08 PM by Ex_Brit RSS
Thomas Garai Newcomer 1 posts since
Apr 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2012 6:11 PM

Security Shield infestation issue on a new PC protected by Mcafee

One of the desktop PC's on our home network became infested with the Security Shield 2012 malware. The infested PC is a brand new Dell Optiplex 790 still under warranty with MCafee Internet Security installed by default. The symptoms of the infestation were the standard Security Shield nag popups asking for credit card details in order to remove a myriad of trojans and whatnot. Initially I ran a full mcafee virus scan and that picked up no malware at all. I could not start task manager, SS killed it immediately. Initiating IE9 triggerred off more SS nag screens, and web browsing was unabled.

I resolved the Security Shield infestation by loading autoruns onto a usb drive, restarting the PC in safe mode. In safe mode, autoruns was initiated from the usb drive and all programs and drivers without a valid signature were deleted. I then uninstalled Mcafee Internet security and installed Trend Internet security 2012, a reliable security product that we have been using for years on all of the other PC's on our home network.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points