1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 5:44 PM by Peter M

Disabling & Moving McAfee for Defrag

Hi,

My drive seriously needs to be defrag'd. I have cleaned up everything I can and still have insufficient freespace to run the defrag. Because the McAfee folder would free up sufficient space, I am contemplating:  disabling McAfee (after disconnecting from web), then move the McAfee folder to another drive; then defrag; followed by returning the McAfee folder back; and reactivating McAfee.

Had anyone done this? See a problem?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Disabling & Moving McAfee for Defrag
          Peter M

The software will not work if such a move was successful, which it shouldn't be.  There also should be no need for it.   The nature of the software requires that all parts be on the system drive.    You can, however, temporarily disable McAfee VirusScan in order to free up CPU and/or memory resources, while the operation is running.

• 2. Re: Disabling & Moving McAfee for Defrag

After the defrag I was planning on moving the McAfee folder back to the "c" drive before re-enabling it. I thought that by temporarily moving the folder and freeing up sufficient space would allow the defrag to run.

Do you think this might work? or would McAfee become totally messed up?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Disabling & Moving McAfee for Defrag
              Peter M

Well you could try it I suppose but the software wont allow you to do it unless you disable Access Protection first.

However be warned that you may have to uninstall via Control panel, run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account if anything malfunctions.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click General Settings & Alerts (left)

Click Access Protection to expand that section

Uncheck Access Protection and click Apply

Don't forget to re-enable it once everything is done.

I'm curious why you are picking McAfee folders rather than the more obvious ones such as those found in Documents, Music or Videos or Downloads etc. etc.

You can also free up a lot of space by clearing Temporary files.

Go to Start/Run and type temp and click OK or Enter

Go to Edit/Select All

Click Shift and Delete simultaneously and most will delete, some will stay, just follow the prompts.

Repeat that excercise this time typing %temp%

Also go to Disk Cleanup under Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools or via Control Panel.

• 4. Re: Disabling & Moving McAfee for Defrag

I've cleaned out the temp folders, along with Documents, Music etc, $NTUninstall files, Windows\SoftwareDistribution, Downloaded Installations etc. I'm not picking on McAfee, it just happens to hold a lot of space. I've uninstalled most programs which originally were installed on "C". Most remaining on "C" just hold small amounts of space.

When I bought this pc the hd was formated into 2 drives. I've installed all programs that I can control onto the D drive. Unfortunately, I didn't address the C drive size at that time. I'm paying for it now. Though the C and D drives are physically one hd, it would be nice if programs such as McAfee would allow the installation else where.

But, alas, looking back at my "C" drive in response to your question, the McAfee folder won't provide enough free space alone to allow defragging. I wish I knew of other files/folders which could be moved without messing up the computer and allow me to defrag and clean  the pc up.

• 5. Re: Disabling & Moving McAfee for Defrag
                  Peter M

Which defragger are you using and is it actually saying that it can't proceed due to lack of space?    Can you alter the parameters to consolidate free space perhaps or even do a boot-time defrag?

How big is C: and how full?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/04/12 3:01:11 EDT PM
                  • 6. Re: Disabling & Moving McAfee for Defrag

I am using Windows's system tools defragger. It states I need 15% minimum freespace, and I have 7% available. I don't see any options for running it. What is a boot-time defrag? The size 13.9gb 962mb free.

• 7. Re: Disabling & Moving McAfee for Defrag
                      Peter M

Ah that would explain it's limitations.  The Windows Defragger doesn't have any real options.   What operating system and service pack is this?   If you can tell me that I can look into further possibilities, but can't promise anything.

• 8. Re: Disabling & Moving McAfee for Defrag

Win XP sp 3. Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated!

• 9. Re: Disabling & Moving McAfee for Defrag
                          Peter M

Try the following.

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories and right-click Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator' (or simply Run - can't rmember as it's been a while since I was in XP).

In the window type defrag C: -f  (with the spaces) and click Enter.

The -f is supposed to force a defrag when space is low.

I just tested that here and it should work.  Mind you my free space is much higher.

1 2 Previous Next