8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 9:04 AM by Peter M

Stop McAfee from alerting me AVG firewall is off

I don't use AVG Firewall. I use Windows Firewall. How do I fix this? I have contacted my ISP, McAfee and AVG. Nothing has helped. Why on earth would McAfee not give controls for setting this up? Frustrated to no end!

• 1. Re: Stop McAfee from alerting me AVG firewall is off
          Peter M

Why do you even have AVG firewall installed?  McAfee is designed to operate with the minimum of both virus and firewall protection turned on, and it controls Windows Security Center.

Try uninstalling AVG Firewall and make McAfee the default and the problem should disappear.

The suite can't operate with the personal firewall turned off.

If you don't want to use a software firewall in deference to Windows own firewall then you chose the wrong software.  What you really need is individual virus protection using a standalone product of some other brand.

• 2. Re: Stop McAfee from alerting me AVG firewall is off

Aparently you missed the part where I said I don't use AVG firewall. I don't have AVG installed. If ever I did have AVG it was years ago. I am using Windows Firewall.

I have contacted my ISP, McAfee, AVG; no one can fix this. I have run numorous tools that are supposed to remove traces of AVG and nothing is working. Yeah I could use Mcafee Firewall if I wanted to pay over $70 for it. Rediculous!

• 3. Re: Stop McAfee from alerting me AVG firewall is off
              Peter M

Who mentioned having to pay?   If you have McAfee software installed it already includes Personal Firewall which I'm afraid has to be used in preference to Windows Firewall otherwise unpredictable results may occur.

However, back to AVG which I realised you no longer used, obviously there are traces of it still there on the hard drive and I would say the next step, assuming the latest TOOLS were already used, would be to do a registry search for AVG and remove every key one can find that carries it, but that really is a subject for a post on the AVG Support Forums and for their support to help you with.

Exactly what McAfee software and version are you using currently?  Also what is your operating system and service pack please?

A screenshot/clip of the popup would also help.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/04/12 8:14:57 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: Stop McAfee from alerting me AVG firewall is off
                Peter M

You could also try although it often doesn't work in these cases...(you probably already tried it but posting anyway)

Double-click (or right-click) the taskbar icon to call up SecurityCenter

Dismiss any alerts that may be on the Home page

Click Navigation at top right

Click General Settings and Alerts at the lkeft

Under Protection Alerts check the box next to Don't show an alert when Firewall is off

Click Apply.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/04/12 9:47:50 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: Stop McAfee from alerting me AVG firewall is off

I have the same issue in that I constantly receive the firewall aler. I have Antivirus Plus as provided by my cable/internet company, Time Warner. The package does not come with McAfee firewall. That is an extra cost option. I am using WIndows Firewall. I have repeatedly selected/unseletced "Don't show an alert when Firewall is off." But I still get them no matter what I do. I'm running XP. How do I stop this alert from showing many times a day?

• 6. Re: Stop McAfee from alerting me AVG firewall is off
                    Peter M

How odd that they don't include the firewall component as well as VirusScan.   From further investigation I think that setting covers only Windows Firewall being on or off, I could be wrong.   Best ask Support it's a free phone call and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

They may have a way of turning off the warning altogether although I can't promise that.

To the original poster it would seem you need to contact AVG for some kind of removal tool or ask them how to clean AVG items out of the registry.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/05/12 1:00:23 EDT PM
                    • 7. Re: Stop McAfee from alerting me AVG firewall is off

Same thing here, the version I am using is McAfee Security Plus 11.0 that is provided by my ISP. Doesn't include the Firewall. I hate this message constantly telling me my computer is at risk!

Is this perhaps McAfee's way of trying to make us buy their Firewall?

Many years ago I had AVG Security and Firewall. Searches show I don't have it any longer. It was uninstalled years ago. Frustrating. McAfee Tech Support tried a couple of things, that didn't work. AVG won't help as I don't have (pay) them anymore. What the heck?

Message was edited by: sharonmp on 9/27/12 8:54:39 AM CDT
                      • 8. Re: Stop McAfee from alerting me AVG firewall is off
                        Peter M

sharonmp - I  answered your other thread.   I think there's a mistake on your ISP's part perhaps.  No McAfee software is allowed to be marketed by anyone minus the firewall, which must be used.  Please indicate on your other thread who you ISP is and I will ask my contacts about that.

Meanwhile as this thread is months old I'm locking it.