3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2012 2:03 PM by rcamm

SG560 Reboots Randomly

I'm been running an SG560 for several years and firmware version 4.0.5 for at least a couple of years. In the past few weeks, it has started to reboot itself seemingly by random. I have two VPN tunnels using SG310's. Yes the reboot is fairly quick and the tunnels re-establish themselves but it still causes us production problems. Nothing in the configuration anywhere has changed. I've already swapped out the power supply to see if this helps but it didn't make a difference. I even swapped out the device itself with an identical one and it still didn't make the difference. FYI, I did not configure the replacement SG560 from scratch - I restored a backup from the original one. I only have a small handfull of concurrent users so I doubt that it's a memory issue but I'm willing to look if someone can assist me in looking in the right direction. I've looked at some other postings and tried to track thigns down myself but I'm nowhere near an expert in this stuff. I have not been able to catch what, if anything, is in the syslog right before it reboots. The syslogd.conf has default settings which I believe only rotates one log file and the maxsize is 32kb. I'm in the process of setting up a remote syslog server in order to capture what I would  hope would help me track this down.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Jack

• 1. Re: SG560 Reboots Randomly

the reboots will be the OOM ( out of memory ) code kickin in and rebooting the unit.

Are you able to disable some functionality to free up some RAM ?

Are you using snmp ?....this one that can cause the memory to exceed the unit.

• 2. Re: SG560 Reboots Randomly

rcamm wrote:

the reboots will be the OOM ( out of memory ) code kickin in and rebooting the unit.

Are you able to disable some functionality to free up some RAM ?

Are you using snmp ?....this one that can cause the memory to exceed the unit.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not using SNMP. Can you recommend any particular functionality that I can disable? Also, do you know if there's any log file that would help me troubleshoot? I couldn't find much in the syslog but then again I doubt that I would be able to know what in particular to look for.

• 3. Re: SG560 Reboots Randomly

can you copy the output of

ps ax

from the command line here so I can see what you may be able to disable ?

the syslog will give further info...but you would need to setup remote logging to help.

but i expect it will simply say 'running out of memory'