1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2009 11:47 PM by secured2k

where is signature update places?

where is signature update places?

i'd like to know where is the new update of virus signature. what's the path containing it?

thx so much

mengoz
        • 1. RE: where is signature update places?
          That depends on your system.. Some companies create an update repository which is on a server within their own domain.. Other companies use the default McAfee repositories which reside on the internet at the paths below:

http://update.nai.com/products/commonupdater

or

ftp://ftp.nai.com/CommonUpdater

or...

If you want to download the full xDAT or Sdat files which will allow you to updated using the executable package, the link is below:

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/dat.asp?region=us&segment= enterprise

Hope this helps.

Grif
          • 2. RE: where is signature update places?

thx a lot

i'll try this way

and post the result

happy
            • 3. RE: where is signature update places?

this method is work

however i'd like to know where is the default path of it, without d/l new file or create new directory and setup the client agent to d/l from new create directory

do u understand what i am trying to do?

sorry for my poor english

thx

mengoz
              • 4. RE: where is signature update places?
                secured2k
                What is your native language?

I do not understand what you are trying to do.
                I do not understand why you were looking for the update path?
                • 5. RE: where is signature update places?
                  Sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to do either..

Your first post was about "where is signature update places?""

The items I gave you are the McAfee "default" locations where you can download updated signatures from the internet..

On the other hand, if you're looking to find the directories where the signatures are placed on a local computer, it depends on the version of VirusScan you're using.. See the examples below:

VirusScan 8.0i (Clean.dat, Names.dat, and Scan.dat files)
                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\Engine

VirusScan 8.5i & 8.7i (AVVClean.dat, AVVNames.dat, and AVVScan.dat files)
                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine

Other than that, I'm not sure what you want.

Hope this helps.

Grif
                  • 6. RE: where is signature update places?

i don't have that path you gave me.

do i have to deploy AV to my server to have that path?

or it's not important to install AV to server, just check in the AV package in ePO server. (however i already check in AV8.7i in my ePO server)

i use window search for "AVVScan.dat" then i found it is in "C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\VSCANDAT1000\DAT\0000" directory , and store in side "avvdat-5611.zip" file.

is this correct path for Virus signature in my server

so thanks for all of your answer, grif

mengoz
                    • 7. RE: where is signature update places?
                      Yes, in order to have the files in the path I listed, you must have McAfee AV installed on the computer, whether it's a server or a standard client machine.. The file names I gave you are the actual virus signatures that are being used by the McAfee scanners to scan the machine.

The file names on your server appear to be for your ePO utility.. That appears to be the correct location for the repository signatures but the "avvdat-5611.zip" file is the compressed version of the actual signatures.. It's not the actual signatures themselves.

As to whether it's important to install a virus scanner on a server, I feel it's VERY important to do so.. Protection for the server is important, but those types of decisions are up to the administrator of the system.

Unfortunately, it's still not clear what you're asking for here.. If you're actually trying to place the signatures on the server for use by other client machines, you should be able to install VirusScan, then create a "Mirror Task" from the VirusScan Console.. Once that's done, all the downloads and placements of the definitions becomes fairly automatic.

Hope this helps.

Grif
                      • 8. RE: where is signature update places?
                        my question was asking for making the update repository without d/l any file from update website. i just want to set update path for client to the server without create new directory or d/l new files just uses the existing one.
                        • 9. RE: where is signature update places?
                          secured2k
                          You would need to re-create the folder stucture that matches the CommonUpdater links Grif posted earlier. McAfee Enterprise products will need the McAfee Script files as well as the .z files in addition to whatever files are needed per product code.
                          1 2 Previous Next