5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 12:12 PM by Grif

configure 8.7.0.i to scan only on writes

hi

Howto configure ePO 4.0 for VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0.i to scan server and workstations only on writes?
        • 1. RE: configure 8.7.0.i to scan only on writes
          If you're referring to the Local Machine, RIGHT click on the McAfee icon in the lower right, select "On Access Scan", select "All Processes" on the left side, then select the "Scan Items" tab, then make sure "When Writing to disc" is CHECKed.. Uncheck the other options if needed. Click on "Apply", then OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif
          • 2. RE: configure 8.7.0.i to scan only on writes

thx, but which policy is it exactly?

I have at ePO 4.0 the following policies:

On-Access Default Processes Policies
            On-Access General Policies
            On-Access High-Risk Processes Policies
            On-Access Low-Risk Processes Policies
            On Delivery Email Scan Policies
            • 3. RE: configure 8.7.0.i to scan only on writes
              It seems to be On-Access Default Processes Policies.

is it a good way to exclude from scanning when reading from disk on servers and workstations?
              how is the policy configured in your office?
              • 4. RE: configure 8.7.0.i to scan only on writes
                I would say configure the workstations to scan on both read and write and configure the servers to scan only on write.

My reasoning is because of things like removeable HDD, USB Memory sticks and CD's/DVDs that can pe plugged into a workstation.

On a server I think you don't want every read to be scanned, it would seem to be no real point, but you would want to make sure nothing infected is writen to the disk.

But I would be interested to hear what other think also?

Always good to get a second opinion.
                • 5. RE: configure 8.7.0.i to scan only on writes
                  Just my opinion here.. We configure all our machines to scan both read and write. Obviously, it's a little more secure that way..but our server isn't under a lot of stress and has plenty of processing speed and RAM. In addition, we use our server as an light duty work station.. We see no real speed issues doing it this way. For those with old and slow machines, there have been complaints on these forums where both items are configured..

Each admin will need to test the environment and see which option works best for them..

Hope this helps.

Grif