8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 5:21 AM by HawkEye4077

How to migrate ePO 4.5 to a new Server

Mission Possible

Hi,

We are planning to migrate our existing physical ePO 4.5 Server to new VMware Server.

Current Physical Server configurations are:

>OS: Server 2003 SP2 32Bit

>ePO 4.5 patch 3 without Agent Handler

>SQL Server 2005 Enterprise. But DB kept on a network Drive

Current suggested environment for VM Server

>OS: Server 2008 Standard 64Bit

>SQL Server 2008. DB will still be kept on a network Drive.

My Questions are:

1) Is P2V possible in upper scenario since the OS version is different? If possible what are the things to be consider and take care by ePO Admin to make it a hassle free migration?

2) If P2V is not possible then what are the steps to follow to create the same ePO configuration on a new Server retaining the same IP and Host Name?

3) How can I make sure that after the migration is done all agents should connect to new VMware Server and not to the previous Server?

4) Can I get a step by step procedure for migration as in this scenario?

side Qn) Can we do a test migration before actually migrating?

I seek help from all experienced professionals who already had done migration in their organization.

Thanks

Shiv

• 1. Re: How to migrate ePO 4.5 to a new Server

I don't have experience with what you are asking, but since no one else has answered yet, I did a quick search of the Knowledge Base.  These two KB articles might help:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71078

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB68427

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to migrate ePO 4.5 to a new Server
            Mission Possible

thanks for browsing some info jguenrdc.

I guess KB71078 is quite usefull for me. Though I dont see KB68427 will be applicable in my case as it is userful for migrating the SQL DB only and retaining the same ePO Server.

Also I need some help on P2V as we are planning to migrate our physical server  into virtual environment and I have no experience in P2V.

If you guys need any other information about the setup and configuration please reply.

Thanks for your time.

• 3. Re: How to migrate ePO 4.5 to a new Server
              Nielsb

What I did:

installed a new Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server

with SQL 2008 R2 SP1

ePolicy orchestrator 4.6.1

checked-in agent 4.6 /vse 8.8

reconfigured the old policies/client and server tasks

run AD sync

create a query "install agent on unmaged systems"

and done:)

• 4. Re: How to migrate ePO 4.5 to a new Server
                Mission Possible

Did you migrate from physica to Virtual Server?  What was your earlier configuration? Was that same before migrating like OS 2008, ePO 4.6.1, VSE 8.8 and Agent 4.6?

In my case I want to retain the same configuration. No product upgrade is going to be done in Migration.

• 5. Re: How to migrate ePO 4.5 to a new Server

It would be easier to just recreate mcafee epo from scratch and then redeploy agents too all the clients from the new server over writing the existing installation. Far, far easier than trying to migrate.

I would create a VM with all the latest specs then install all the latest mcafee products that your licensed for, then redeploy agents to all  the clients. The policies take me about 10 mins to copy from another installation. But if you have 1000s of clients and complicated installation then you might need a different solution.

Message was edited by: sadadmin on 10/04/12 09:59:53 CDT
                  • 6. Re: How to migrate ePO 4.5 to a new Server
                    mrandolp

Hi Mission Possible, I have done P2V for several servers, using Symantic's Backup Exec System Recovery.  You can download a trail version from symantic.   You can use the restore anywhere option on just about any hardware.  Below is are the steps I have used.

Backup Exec System Recovery

Requirements:

1. BESR SRD CD
                    2. Server to restore to.  (Hardware or Virtual)
                    3. IP Address
                    4. IP Address of the repository.

Recovery Process Physical Server:

1. Power server on.
                    2. Insert CD.
                    3. BESR loads.
                    4. Accept software agreement.
                    5. Click yes to “start networking services”.
                    6. From the GUI, select the network tab.
                    7. Configure Network connection settings
                    8. Map drive to BESR repository.  Note:  You will need to know the IP address of the BESR repository the images are stored on.
                    9. Click Home tab. Click Recover My Computer.
                    10. Click Next.
                    11. No recovery points found, click OK.
                    12. Recovery point to restore, click browse.  Click My Computer.  Open the drive “Network Connection”.  Locate the server to restore.  Select the drive to restore. Note: Select the most current incremental restore and click open.  Click next.
                    13. Select the target drive you are restoring.  Select restore anywhere for C: partition.  Click next.
                    14. Recovery Options.  Select resize restored drive (if needed).  If restoring the C: partition select Set drive active for booting OS.  Advance Options, leave as default.  Uncheck, restore original disk signature.  If restoring the C: partition, uncheck Preserve domain trust token.  Click next.  Click Finish.  Next you will be prompted “Do you want to continue with the recovery.  Click yes.
                    15. After images are restored, click exit.  Server reboots.  Remove CD.
                    16. After server is on-line, BESR configures server.  After configuration is complete, log in as Administrator.
                    17. Change drives to the correct drive letters.
                    18. Insert server into the domain.  Reboot.
                    19. Turn server over to application(s) primary.

Recovery Process for Virtual Server:

1. Create and configure virtual server.
                    2. Power on virtual server.  Press F2 to go into the BIOS.  Change the boot order.  Boot from network, boot from CD ROM.  F10 to save and exit.
                    3. While server is trying to boot from network, on VMware tool bar click Connect CD/DVD 1.
                    4. Insert CD into CD ROM.
                    5. BESR loads.
                    6. Accept software agreement.
                    7. Click yes for starting networking.
                    8. Select the network tab.
                    9. Configure Network connection settings
                    10. Map drive to repository.  You will need to know the IP address of the BESR repository the images are stored on.
                    11. Click Home tab. Click Recovery My Computer.
                    12. Click Next.
                    13. No recovery points found, click OK.
                    14. Recovery point to restore, click browse.  Click My Computer.  Open the drive “Network Connection”.  Locate the server to restore.  Select the drive to restore. Note: Select the most current incremental restore and click open.  Click next.
                    15. Select the target drive you are restoring.  Select restore anywhere option for C: partition.  Click next.
                    16. Recovery Options.  Select resize restored drive (if needed).  If restoring the C: partition select Set drive active for booting OS.  Advance Options, leave as default.  Uncheck, restore original disk signature.  If restoring the C: partition, uncheck Preserve domain trust token.  Click next.  Click Finish.  Next you will be prompted “Do you want to continue with the recovery.  Click yes.
                    17. After server is on-line, BESR configures server.  After configuration is complete, log in as Administrator.
                    18. Change drives to the correct drive letters.
                    19. Install VMware tools.  (reboot)
                    20. Remove overhead applications.  (reboot)
                    21. Disable Sync Driver.  (reboot)
                    22. Insert server into domain. (reboot)
                    23. Turn server over to application(s) primary.

don't know if this will help, but take a look at it.  Have you looked at VM convertor?  That might be another way to go.  Can take several hours.  Also are you planning on doing an in-place upgrade to 2008?

Hope this helps.

Mike

• 7. Re: How to migrate ePO 4.5 to a new Server
                      pankajs

P2V is not possible because OS is different.

If you want to migrate your ePO without changing the OS and DB it is possible.

If you want to do then follow the following steps.it very nice & easy process.

Download the VMware P2V migration tool from vmware support portal site or look for google.

install the tool on physical machine.

it will ask for provide login creadential of your VMware.

it will take 1 hours of time to migrate.

aftter completion check you VMware you will there is newly generated VM in the tree.

Assign hostname, IP to that VM .

Your system is ready in VM.

if you have any doubt kindly go to you tube and check its video.

best of luck.

Message was edited by: pankajs on 4/14/12 6:42:33 AM CDT
                      • 8. Re: How to migrate ePO 4.5 to a new Server

Hi,

I have just completed the same migration process myself to a VM instance. There is no need to deploy new agents to most systems, simply do the following

1. Setup new server as you wish, DB etc

2. Import the server keys into old server as a registered device

3. Share or recreate (I recreated) policies tasks etc on new server.

4. Depending upon size of estate transfer machines to new server (in the agent menu). in batches or (after suitable testing) all at once.

5. Fix remaining issues.

For me this worked like a charm. The only issue I have hit is with Agent Handlers. There does not appear to be a way to migrate them, which is silly but....

Hope it helps someone.