5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 8:42 AM by tonyb99

McShield scanning service cannot find any configuration in the registry

We have 20 servers that we can't get Viruscan 8.5i to fully install on.

Windows 2003 64bit R2

We install ePO agent 4.0.0.1148 with no problems. It communicates and receives all the appropriate policies.

It then downloads the 8.5i Viruscan client and performs the install with no errors. At the end of the installation the service does not start.

If you try to start the service manually, you receive the following error:

Windows could not start the McAfee McShield on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5046.

followed by this in the Application Event Log:

Source: McLogEvent
      EventID: 5046
      User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      Description: The McShield scanning service cannot find any configuration in the registry

We've followed the McAfee article that instructs to modify registry permissions for: System Accout to have Full Control on:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\McAfee\Vsc ore\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration\Default]. This has no effect.

We've uninstalled and reinstalled. No effect.

We've manually installed the Viruscan 8.5i. No effect.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried every "fix" I could find by googling, but nothing has been successful. We have no idea what to do at this point.