0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 6:09 PM by abenjami

Coding Better Block Pages...

Hello,

I have been troubleshooting issues for various customers where a lot of the information for the issues which customers are running into can be solved through the use of more informative block pages.

I know that a simple block page and quickly communicate that a user is doing something that they should not be doing.  However, to have just a “Warning – Your page has been blocked” message really does not give a lot of in-depth information for the User, IT or even your Administration staff.  In turn, some of this can be solved through the use of a better block page for the users.

Some of this information can include;

• Appliance information
      • Date and time
      • Error template name
      • User Active Directory information (username and groups)
      • Client Information
      • Reputation information
      • Status Codes
      • Rules where the block occurred
      • Site content
      • Request information
      • Virus information

This can then assist in troubleshooting common issues with “My website was blocked” or even “I got blocked due to virus detection”.  Additionally in both reducing administration overhead as your organization can do some internal troubleshooting, you can also go into the code of the block page as well and add information like the following;

• To file an Information Security Ticket
      • To contact your internal helpdesk

You can even streamline the process of embedding your own internal links into the block page so that users can file tickets directly into your ticketing software if needed.

In turn, good block pages can add better success or satisfaction for both your IT department and your users. 

To use the blockpage, please download the correct version for your release;

McAfee Web Gateway 7.1.0.6    (NewBlockPage7.1.0.6_mwg.zip)

McAfee Web Gateway 7.1.6.x    (NewBlockPage7.1.6_mwg.zip)

Screenshot of the new page     (Block Page Example.zip)

To import the block page;

• Download the zip file
      • Then go to ("Policy > Settings > Actions")
      • Then "Right Click - Block"
      • Under “Template Name” hit “Edit”
      • Then At the top hit “Import”
      • Then import the new zip file
      • Then “Click – Save Template Changes”
      • Then “Click – OK”
      • Then hit the “Save Changes” button in the upper right on the Web Gateway.

Now, you can go into one of your blocking rules and change it over to use the “New Block Page”.  (!!NOTE!!) Please, be careful when importing the block page as some of the images may already exist due to defaults.  You can say no for these popups so your images are not overwritten.

Message was edited by: abenjami on 3/30/12 6:07:53 PM CDT

Message was edited by: abenjami on 3/30/12 6:09:04 PM CDT