Here is my ongoing story with Mcafee SAAS Total Protection Service (formally Mcafee Total Protection Service) frustration.
A couple of months ago, I purchased an HP LX195 Mediasmart server which I am very happy with my decision. I had read articles about HP Mediasmart servers and Windows Home Server. I didn’t know much about the Windows Home Server but I wanted to dive into it. I purchased an HP LX195 server which it came preloaded with WHS (Windows Home Server) among other software. With WHS, in order to add software to the WHS system, you install software called an ADDIN. This ADDIN is typically an .MSI file extension which you would copy to the Share/Software/ADDIN folder on the Mediasmart server. Typically, I don’t add a lot of software to my Mediasmart server until I research it and I have a need to add it. For now, I am not using my LX195 server for iTunes, streaming media, etc… I am basically using it to perform backups of all my active computers in the house.
I have read all kinds of crap about you should have Antivirus installed on your Mediasmart server and no you don’t need it. Endless talks about YES and NO, back and forth. I decided to install Mcafee TPS to play around with the software. I was never a big fan of any Mcafee products, whether it was Antivirus or Spyware or Internet Security. I just didn’t feel the Mcafee love. However, I thought well let me install Mcafee TPS and give it a shot. After all, it came bundled with WHS, so why not. I am trying to watch my pennies!
I accessed my LX195 server by RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) and launched my Console to install Mcafee TPS v4.9.2. I am installing the “Trial” version of Mcafee TPS. After you install it, you have to restart the Console. Ok so far so good. After the Console restarted, I clicked on the Mcafee TPS icon and below Launch Security Center, you will see Update Now. I click on Update Now and the Update Agent box appears before me. The Agent appears to try to establish a connection to somewhere but who knows which site or where. As the Agent is trying to connect, you will get a status bar indicating progress. However, you are prompted with this wonderful error message:
“Installation Error 0x80004005”
Update Agent will now close: 10, 9, 8,7,6…..
What the HELL does the error message mean? What the HELL is “signcert”? What the HELL do I do next? A lot of questions, zero answers!
I could sit here doing this same Update Now thingy all day long and still get the above message. My LX195 is fully updated with Windows updates. I have installed Internet Explorer 8 with updates. I even tried to downgrade Internet Explorer 8 to Internet Explorer 7 just to see if that makes a difference. NOPE! I read an article on installing Mcafee MER Client tool to check for ALL Mcafee products to see which needs updating. This didn’t solve the problem either. I have a Mcafee tech person calling me tonight (3/30/12) to remote into my Server to find the problem. The story will continue…..
Message was edited by: pfisher on 3/30/12 2:41:14 PM CDT
Message was edited by: pfisher on 3/30/12 2:41:45 PM CDT