1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 9:56 AM by waynediesel

EEPC v5 to v6 test plan

I am looking out here in the communities to see if anyone has developed a test plan for there business to upgrade EEPC from v5 to v6. If so, any possible way you could post a general view of what you have?

• 1. Re: EEPC v5 to v6 test plan

I know this reply is a little late, but my organization made the decision to go from EEPC 5.2.5 to EEPC 6.1.3 + HotFix and I developed a test plan to help facilitate.

First determine what it is you want to test and then it is a lot easier to go from there. The idea is not necessarily to test the functionality of the program (you have to trust that McAfee did this for things like sending/receiving policies), but instead test to make sure that it works in YOUR environment. I chose the following order

1. Ensure hardware and software compatibility
            1. Basically can you get the PCs to upgrade from EEPC 5.2.5 to EEPC 6.x successfully without bricking the systems. I setup a lab that had every make and model of laptop and workstation that my organization used and tested this basic functionality first.
            2. Start with the most deployed OS in your org (Windows XP was mine), and then test other OS platforms after successful completion of the primary one.
          2. Ensure that the distribution method your company uses (ePO, SCCM, Tivoli, etc.) can consistently install/uninstall the program.
            1. My org uses SCCM as the main deployment method, Tivoli for the second favorite method, and lastly ePO for the third deployment method. This means I ran 3 sets of tests per OS and per hardware make and model. Overkill? Possibly, but having these tests showed us how certain triggers work for certain deployment methods and how some deployment methods were more successful than others.
          3. Test fresh installations on Operating System Deployments
            1. Depending on how your organization deploys new machine builds, make sure that you can put in this new software in this build process without any issues.

Put it all into a nice spreadsheet and track your Pass/Fail rate along with any noted deficiencies and you are good to go.

Hope this helps!