Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2254 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2012 5:56 AM by Alexander Buckland RSS
Alexander Buckland Newcomer 5 posts since
Mar 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2012 12:38 PM

McAfee SiteAdvisor + Facebook

This message is intended for the developers of SiteAdvisor, more specifically any developers relating to the Facebook Implementations of this product.

I have identified a serious issue with the SiteAdvisor "addon" for Facebook. Any link either via messaging, or from a Facebook Page's posts, will trigger a "Site Blocked" alert if not confirmed as safe in your databases.

Many of my own sites, and other businesses sites, all with high Alexa rankings have not yet been scanned. This results in a "Site Blocked" warning when using the links on Facebook. I know some businesses use Facebook as a primary source of website traffic, this will kill that traffic.

A typical user will NOT continue when presented with a "Site Blocked" warning... this removes that visitor from the potential customer list, and may also affect the sites "Word of Mouth" rating.

I am highly concerned not only for my own sites, but also for the other millions of sites using Facebook for advertising. Your SiteAdvisor, even, as far as I know blocks some Facebook Adverts ... people PAY for these adverts, and your SiteAdvisor makes them pay for nothing in some cases.

I urge you to deal with this issue. Instead of using a "static" lookup where the site is checked against an existing list, why not create a dynamic tool to SCAN the site on your servers, and sending the results back to the viewer. This result could then be used for the next 24 hours for visitors of that site, minimizing server load.

I know that some current AV vendors, including BitDefender and Norton ( in partial ) offer this sort of dynamic web-scanning, whilst offloading the scans onto their own servers.

This would also greatly reduce site testing requests, and maybe even allow your staff to be more productive.

I greatly urge you to take careful consideration of my advice, it could seriously help you out in the long run.

Many Thanks.

Alexander Buckland

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,571 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Mar 28, 2012 1:25 PM (in response to Alexander Buckland)
    Re: McAfee SiteAdvisor + Facebook

Moved provisionally from Business (general) to SiteAdvisor Enterprise, for better attention.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/03/12 2:25:54 EDT PM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,600 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    5. Mar 29, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)
    Re: McAfee SiteAdvisor + Facebook

Moved back to the Consumer section. SiteAdvisor Enterprise is for users with the Business version of SA installed. That doesn't seem to be applicable here.

@AlexanderBuckland : this is primarily a user forum. SiteAdvisor team members do check the posts in the Consumer area, so you may get noticed.

The feedback form worked when I sent a test message 2 minutes ago. Check you have Javascript enabled and allow cookies for that site.

Dear valued user,

Thank you for your submission. Your involvement in our product is highly valued and helps us to better serve you.

If your message is regarding a customer service issue, or an issue with McAfee software that is not SiteAdvisor, please contact the McAfee support team. We want you to get the assistance you need as quickly and easily as possible.

To obtain McAfee support, please visit http://service.mcafee.com.

If you are using a McAfee consumer (home and home office) software product, you can call our Consumer Customer Service department at 1.866.622.3911 for assistance. If you are using a McAfee corporate product and you have a grant number, you can call our Corporate Customer Care department at 1.800.338.8754.

Sincerely,

The McAfee SiteAdvisor Team

Please do not hijack old threads. One thread is enough to put your case.

As for SiteAdvisor and Facebook :

First, the use of short URLs is problematical when it comes to trying to get to the bottom of a problem like this. I would rather let the experts on the SiteAdvisor team deal with this.

Second, Facebook is open to scams, fraud and malware. It may well be true that some Facebook links are unsafe. Right now the Kelihos botnet controllers are rebuilding their botnet, recently taken down by Microsoft, via Facebook - so I'm not going to say that SiteAdvisor is issuing false positives.

And third, safety ratings are adjusted by TrustedSource, which works pretty much in real-time : the initial SiteAdvisor rating of a site is given after a series of controlled tests but may be altered at any time by TrustedSource.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/researchers-clobber-khelios-spam-botnet/

Update, 11:07 a.m. ET: Multiple sources are now reporting that within hours of the Khelios.B takedown, Khelios.C was compiled and launched. It appears to be spreading via Facebook.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 29/03/12 17:49:46 IST

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points