3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 1:29 PM by cgrim

Is it possible to increase resources to avoid  "Awaiting Resources" message?

I have some scans running off a particular scan engine (Windows 2003 server, not an FSX000 appliance) and the scan status on one is "Awaiting Resources."  I have read KB60411 and this is definitely the case, the system is throttling due to a resource issue.

There are two scans active on the scan engine at this time.  One is a large scan that takes several evenings to complete and is currently paused using the scan windows option.  The second scan is another large scan trying to actively run and it's sitting in an Awaiting Resources state.  Before I noticed this was the case I launched another scan using that engine and again ran into the Awaiting Resources message.

Is there a fix/workaround to avoid this message such as adding more RAM to the machine?  I searched the KB and didn't come up with much other than the KB mentioned above and there wasn't anything in the community about this.

-Mike

• 1. Re: Is it possible to increase resources to avoid  "Awaiting Resources" message?
          jhaynes

W2k3 is a 32 bit OS and because of this each process is limited to using 2 gigs of memory. I don't know how much memory is in  your system but I'll describe how a system with 4 gigs of memory would function. The OS would grab the first 2 gigs and leave the remainder for differnt processes. FSAssessment start to throttle at about 1.4 gigs which leaves 600 megs for other processes which are necessary for MVM to work. Adding memory really doesn't help as the 32 bit OS really doesn't know how to handle it. You do have an option though and that's to make the OS large address space aware.

McAfee will not help  you do this as we don't QA our product with this turned on. I will say though that I know several customers who are doing this and nobody  has ran into any issues. Here is MS link that describes the process. Anouther option is to move to a 64 bit OS like W2k8R2 and by default each process can use up to 3 gigs of memory.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx?PageI ndex=2

Jeff Haynes

• 2. Re: Is it possible to increase resources to avoid  "Awaiting Resources" message?

Jeff,

This is the part that confuses me, FSAssessment was only using around 600 MB of RAM.  I understand the 2 gig memory limit with 32-bit OSes.  I guess what I'm wondering is, how can I force FSAssessment to use up to the 2GB of RAM allocated to it.  Upgrading to 64-bit 2k8r2 doesn't seem like it would help this issue as FSAssessement isn't even hitting the 2GB limit.

I just recreated the situation with one scan running and then launching another scan.  As you can see in the attached screenshots, FSAssessment isn't even using 600MB and yet I'm sitting in an awaiting resources state.  Also, I did open a case on this issue this morning.  Thanks!

jhaynes wrote:

FSAssessment start to throttle at about 1.4 gigs which leaves 600 megs for other processes which are necessary for MVM to work.

Message was edited by: msaundersnd  on 3/27/12 11:54:19 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: Is it possible to increase resources to avoid  "Awaiting Resources" message?

hi Mike,

Not sure why assessment is only using 600MB - but real quick info:  Pausing a scan will NOT free up the resources.  The Paused scan will hold the info in memory until resumed. 

You should give your scan a longer window, or split it up so it can complete in the timeframe you've allotted for it.

I hope that helps!
              Cathy