6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 2:39 AM by fschulte

Manual AV Update using CURL or another command line script

Hi,

Wonder if you could help. We have Webgateway 7.0 and would like to perform the command line variant of the Configuration Menu, Manual Engine Update or be able to run the AV update each day rather than every 6 hours.

In the Webwasher version you could use

curl -u admin:webwasher --url https://localhost:10000/admin?navTo1=Updt&navTo2=Up&navTo3=AV&UserID=default&Res tartAVNow=Restart%20AV%20Engine&set=yes

Surely something exist in the new version to perform the same exercise?

Regards Gary

• 1. Re: Manual AV Update using CURL or another command line script
          fschulte

Hi Gary!

Yes, this is still possible.

You are looking for the mwg-coordinator switch -A. (/opt/mwg/bin/mwg-coordinator -A usage).

The final command looks like

/opt/mwg/bin/mwg-coordinator -A cmd:trigger_action=update_engines

You can also use update_engines_all  if you want to update the Certificate Chain Filter, too.

Issuing this command is equivalent to pushing the "Manual Engine Update" button in the GUI.

Ciao

Felix

• 2. Re: Manual AV Update using CURL or another command line script

Hi this does not work - says invalid option I even tried a small -a but that produced a pretty screen !

Best Regards Gary

Message was edited by: gary_shaw on 3/28/12 2:23:50 AM CDT

Message was edited by: gary_shaw on 3/28/12 2:26:56 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: Manual AV Update using CURL or another command line script
              fschulte

Sorry, I was under the impression that this command was available in all MWG 7.x versions. But this option is only available in the upcoming 7.2 which is planned to be released at end of this month.

I am convinced that it is still possible to do that with curl with some more effort. Some tcpdumps should give the answer.

Which version are you using exactly?

Ciao

Felix

Message was edited by: fschulte on 4/2/12 3:57:02 AM CDT
              • 4. Re: Manual AV Update using CURL or another command line script
                fschulte

I played around with curl and I got it working. It's not as short as the solution for MWG 6.x since a form based login, a jsession, and the "emulation" of the java applet is needed. I could share my solution with you if you are interested.

Ciao

Felix

• 5. Re: Manual AV Update using CURL or another command line script

Hi,

Yes please.

Best Regards Gary

• 6. Re: Manual AV Update using CURL or another command line script
                    fschulte

Okay, here we go.

The script is written in ruby and can be started with any ruby 1.8 interpreter. Every MWG 7.x box has one installed. So you could create a cronjob for it there. The important parts are documented. Just have a look at it or use it as it is.

See the available options with triggerupdate.rb -h.

Launch it with a command like: triggerupdate.rb --mwg-ui <hostname-of-mwg-ui> --user-name <user-name> --password <password>

I tested this with a 7.1.6.1. There it works fine. Using it with another version could require some small adjustments.

Security considerations:

Since the cron job will contain the login credentials of an admin, it should be in a cron file owned by root.

It should also be executed as user that has a home directory which is not readable by others, because the script will temporarily dump the cookies on disk.

Edit: Another obvious point is (its so obvious, that I forgot to mention it), the script uses HTTP, so take care if it is not run locally on an MWG box.

If you have questions about how it works or about the installation, just ask.

Note: Use it at your own risk. There is no warranty and no official support for it. Its just my simple solution. (But I will to answer your questions about it. )

Added script on 4/2/12 10:14:53 AM CDT

Message was edited by: fschulte on 4/4/12 2:39:48 AM CDT