1 2 3 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 4:50 AM by Peacekeeper RSS

Unable to install IS 2011 on Windows 7 PC

photocal

Hi and thanks in advance for any help. I'm a longtime McAfee customer but I"ve been unable to install Internet Security 2011.

I'm on a PC platform running Windows 7 with all automatic updates in place.

My subscription for AntiVirus Plus 2011 expired last month, and I own a separate 3-user subscription of Internet Security 2011 that has two more installs valid into June. I've been trying to get one of these to install (working both from a downloaded install file and from the CD) and no luck. I continually get the same error message (asking for more time due to "trouble" and suggesting my Java may be improper). I've done a Java update so that shouldn't be an issue.

Out of desperation I completely uninstalled my prior version of McAfee (since it wouldn't update anymore anyway) thinking that may clear the road to the new install, but the same problems persist. I could really use some advice.

Thank you!

Cal

• 1. Re: Unable to install IS 2011 on Windows 7 PC
          Ex_Brit

This is Windows 7 SP1 I assume and has Internet Explorer 9 insalled whether you use it or not (McAfee does)?    Open IE and go to Help/About to get the version and while in there just as a precaution go to Tools/Windows Update and check for any available ones.

Also as this is Windows 7 and you don't state whether or not it's the 32-bit or 64-bit version, if the latter, make sure you are using the 32-bit version of IE.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool to remove all traces of previous installations and if you had any other brand on there in the interim, run their removal tool and then reboot.

Run the McPreinstall tool:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.e xe

Try it again.

• 2. Re: Unable to install IS 2011 on Windows 7 PC
            photocal

Thanks Peter for your information and suggestions. So far, no luck.

Yes, I have IE9 installed. I checked for updates and everything is up to date.

Yes, I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit version. It appears that both a 32 bit and 64 bit version of IE are on my system, but I use Firefox. Should I remove one of these versions of IE? They're both version 9 by the way.

Due to my removal of the prior McAfee program, I'm not currently running any virus protection, which has me nervous - things are starting to go funky on some of my commonly visited web sites.

I ran the McPreinstall tool you have linked above, but still no luck in getting IS to install. I sure would appreciate some advice.

Thanks much,

Cal

• 3. Re: Unable to install IS 2011 on Windows 7 PC
              Ex_Brit

Windows 7 SP1?    Leave IE both versions intact, in fact you can't remove them anyway.   It's just if you chose to make IE default you should use the 32-bit one for the time being because many add-ons don't function properly or are incompatible with the 64-bit one.

I think your best bet is to contact Technical Support which is free via phone call or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 4. Re: Unable to install IS 2011 on Windows 7 PC
                photocal

Hi again,

Yes, Windows 7 (ver 6.1 SP1). I'll check with Tech support and see what we can figure out. Thanks very much for considering the issue and taking time to respond. Much appreciated!

Cal

• 5. Re: Unable to install IS 2011 on Windows 7 PC
                  Ex_Brit

Sorry I couldn't suggest anything concrete to help you.  Good luck ;-)

• 6. Re: Unable to install IS 2011 on Windows 7 PC
                    photocal

I got on the line (online) with tech support and they tried to register the javascript and Internet explorer in my PC, but couldn't. I assume this means getting with MIcrosoft, unless you have any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Thanks again... sure would like to get through this installation!! I'm feeling naked in a dangerous world! 

Cal

• 7. Re: Unable to install IS 2011 on Windows 7 PC
                      Ex_Brit

Did they offer to escalate the case?   That certainly didn't take very long to suddenly find they can't help.

• 8. Re: Unable to install IS 2011 on Windows 7 PC
                        Ex_Brit

I've flagged this internally and asked for help as I am off to bed shortly as I have a very early medical appointment in the morning.

• 9. Re: Unable to install IS 2011 on Windows 7 PC
                          Hayton

@photocal : someone else had a similar problem a while back (see https://community.mcafee.com/message/201367#201367).

(In fact there are several users who have had a similar problem, but this one included the error messages in his post).

You could try the solution Dinesh (Dinz) suggested and see if that works. If it doesn't, just use the search box (top right) and enter something like "install java" and have a look at some of the other posts. If none of them are relevant and/or the solutions don't work, you'll have to wait for someone to notice Peter's post in the Internal section - which might be tomorrow, or not for several days.

The useful clue from the above thread is that MCPR - if you used it - might not have cleaned up all the McAfee files and registry entries. Dinz's solution in that case would probably do the trick.

1 2 3 Previous Next