Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3235 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 11:15 AM by sbenedix RSS
cedwards Newcomer 1 posts since
Mar 22, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 22, 2012 3:17 AM

Windows Defender

HI

When istalling VirusScan 8.8 there is a mesage that pops up on Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines advising to disable Microsoft Defender

Has anyone carried on without disabling and what sort of issues have they come accross?

We are about to start allowing home users to connect to our network by VPN with their home machines.

They are forced to install VIrusScan before they can connect but they are geting the Defender msg.

If it causes no issues we would like to not ask them to disable or remove other security applications for obviouse reasons.

Thanks

Colin Edwards

• tonyb99 Champion 3,844 posts since
    Apr 10, 2006
    1. Mar 22, 2012 6:35 AM (in response to cedwards)
    Re: Windows Defender

It automatically disables it, when VSE is disabled you'll see defender popping back up.

Nothing to worry about.

McAfee Maniac (Volunteer Moderator)
    x1 4.5.4 ePolicy Orchestrator Server (Build 1082)
    x1 5.0.1 ePolicy Orchestrator Server (Build 228)
    x1 4.6.3 ePolicy Orchestrator Server (Build 197)
    x1 4.6.6 ePolicy Orchestrator Server (Build 176)
    Mcafee Agent 4.6.0.2292/4.6.0.2935/4.8.0.887
    Groupshield 7.0
    VSE 8.8.0.975 & 8.7.0.570 x 20000
    DLP Endpoint 9.2.1
    EEPC 6.2.1.315/7.0.1.354
    HIPS 8
    EMM 10.2
    x70 Sophos 10.2 Endpoint Security & Control

• dan_754 Newcomer 1 posts since
    May 1, 2012
    2. May 1, 2012 2:44 PM (in response to tonyb99)

I used ProcMon to capture Word starting up in our environment and the top three files sorted by file time are:

1) C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\mpcache-xxxxxxx.bin.VE0 - 7.6s

2) Microsoft dll - 6.1s

3) C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Engine\mferuntime-xxxxxxx.dat - 5.4s

The fourth file is 3s and then it drops off with many resources accessed for under half a second.

I believe the McAfee dat file is used so often on first launch because we have  "Processes on Enable" selected.  The dat file usage is not present for subsequent launches of Word.  However, since the windows defender service is still running and set to automatic startup I think I could get better performance by disabling the service, as we do have the McAfee anti-spyware module installed.  When I disable Windows Defender service that WD file no longer appears in my captures.

Is there any McAfee documentation that covers Windows Defender?  Has anyone else disabled Windows Defender (GPO or script) when they saw this condition?

Message was edited by: dan_754 on 5/1/12 2:44:09 PM CDT
  • sbenedix Apprentice 71 posts since
    Oct 20, 2011
    3. May 9, 2012 11:15 AM (in response to cedwards)

Just one remark, if you manage the roll out via ePO there will be no popup for the end user it happens all silently. I don't think there is documentation on WD, it is disbaled on install and enabled upon uninstall, all good. You can try to invoke the setupvse.exe with /q, that should make the whole process silent again. Installation Guide has more switches if required :-).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points