9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 6:17 PM by exbrit

"System Check" virus

Any help in removing "system check" or "fake alert" virus?  It poses as a virus scan software and turns the desk top black.   I have run stinger and malwarebytes (both found trojans) but after a reboot it keeps comming back

• 1. Re: "System Check" virus
          exbrit

Hi, I moved this to a more appropriate section.

Try booting to 'Safe Mode with Networking' by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and the open Malwarebytes, update it and try running it in that mode.  It may remove more.

Also had you first tried System Restore to go back to before all this happened?

There's also a removal guide for this threat here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check

Scoll down the page as the first links you see are adverts.

• 2. Re: "System Check" virus
            Hayton

Moved to Top Threats to be with similar posts

• 3. Re: "System Check" virus
              Peacekeeper
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: "System Check" virus

Moderator,

thanks for the link...i am up and running again thanks to the link you sent:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check

followed the steps:

start in safe mode

down load iexplore from link and run from desktop

down load tdsskiller from link and run from desktop

down load mbam from link and run from desktop

down load unhide from link and run from desktop

It took alot of time but its all back and working

Thanks again!!!

• 5. Re: "System Check" virus
                  exbrit

Glad you are OK now. ;-)

• 6. Re: "System Check" virus

I just got this virus a couple of days ago and the solution in this thread worked for me.  I followed all of the steps in the bleepingcomputer.com link, but iexplore and tdsskiller didn't seem to find anything. 

Malwarebytes was the only thing that found anything, and that seemed to take care of it....so running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode did the trick.  Malwarebytes seems to be the cure-all for pretty much any virus these days.  i've used it multiple times to get rid of viruses and it always seems to work like a charm.  Makes me wonder why McAfee and Norton are still in business when they miss so many viruses that Malwarebytes doesn't.

on 3/22/12 10:49:11 PM CDT
                    • 7. Re: "System Check" virus
                      Peacekeeper

· ...from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
                      As far as why MBAM is very good at dealing with this infection ( fake Avs), that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem to be having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infectionsthat any decent AV already detects as
                      MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some way bypassed.
                      Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future. MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to its core app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

• 8. Re: "System Check" virus

Spike,

Im glad it worked for you to.   My initial run of MalwareBytes dint work becasue i already had it at the time of the infection and the virus would let it update to the lasted antivirus database.  So the iexplore and tdsskiller allowed MalwareBytes to down load the latest.

• 9. Re: "System Check" virus
                          exbrit

Just as an FYI here, Malwarebytes will install, update and run in 'Safe Mode with Networking' reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and it's usually the 2nd on the ensuing menu.