4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 3:36 AM by sco_at

How do you manage cluster names that show as unmanaged?

sdelvecchio

Here is the scenario: ePO 4.6 is configured to do a 1-to-1 sync in several locations within AD there are various clustered systems (System A=A, System B=B and ClusterName=CL). During a sync all 3 names are pulled into ePO and Systems A and B have an Agent and VSE installed, but the Cluster Name shows as unmanaged.

1. Can tags be assigned to unmanaged systems and stay or will they be overwritten at the next sync?
      2. We can't move the CL to a common OU in Active Directory, so I can't exclude the OU. Can a single system be excluded?
      3. Why can ePO reach the active node in the cluster when connecting to the Cluster like some other products do?

How are others handling this issue?

• 1. Re: How do you manage cluster names that show as unmanaged?
          Laszlo G

Hi sdelvecchio, as McAfee Agent is not cluster aware then you'll have to install it on each node of your cluster and will be managed as different machines. The problem is that you have an objet in your AD with the cluster name that does not correspond to a real computer and you won't be able to manage it (but you'll be able to manage its nodes)

I've had the same problem with a customer who couldn't move the cluster name to a different OU so we decided to tag it (for example with the "unmanaged" tag we created and applied manually) and move it to an "unmanaged computers" group in the epo tree. This tag won't be erased or overwriteen so don't worry about it.

• 2. Re: How do you manage cluster names that show as unmanaged?
            sdelvecchio

That's what we do now, tag it as Cluster. Can I still move the machine to another ePO tree location if it's doing a 1-to-1 synce with AD or will it get moved back to it's synced AD location upon the next sync?

I was concerned that I would have to go to a flat file import/sync instead of a 1-to-1.

• 3. Re: How do you manage cluster names that show as unmanaged?
              Laszlo G

Tnis depends on how AD sync was set-up on your ePO. If you told to move computers from their location to the synced folder then your cluster will always move back to its original container

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do you manage cluster names that show as unmanaged?
                sco_at

You could maintain a list of the cluster aliases in a text file and delete them in a server task (Load Systems by files -> Delete Systems)  which is scheduled right after the AD Sync. This is the way we get rid of the *ix, NAS, cluster alias and other systems which will never ever get a McAfee installed. In fact you could export the AD into a textfile or DB and generate this list of systems automated.

1 of 1 people found this helpful