Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
11102 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 1:09 PM by chris.purse RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
chris.purse Newcomer 3 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2012 2:24 AM

McAfee keeps blocking Chrome

Every few days weeks or months McAfee blocks Chrome. It sets it to outgoing only.

when I find  Chrome is not working I have to remember to go into McAfee's firewall internet connections and change it to FULL.

If it happens often it is annoying as it wastes 5 minutes.

If it happens infrequently I forget about it and think my internet has a problem and spend hours trying to fix it before I remember it's McAfee again.

Is there any way of making Mcaffee leave my Chrome settings alone. I really do not want to go back to explorer again.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,347 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. Mar 10, 2012 3:41 AM (in response to chris.purse)
    Re: McAfee keeps blocking Chrome

https://community.mcafee.com/message/231872#231872

been happening for a while I have added it to our call agenda for Monday so will discuss this with the techs.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• scottiet1 Newcomer 4 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    2. Mar 10, 2012 2:55 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

McAfee Just started blocking Chrome today for me. I tried many things with the firewall settings and it still will not let me connect. Explorer and Firefox work fine.

Thanks, Scott

Windows 7

McAfee Internet Protection

Nov 23, 2002
    3. Mar 10, 2012 3:01 PM (in response to scottiet1)

The setting for Chrome in internet connections for programs is set to outgoing not full, that is what others say. Edit and set it to full.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Mar 10, 2012
    4. Mar 10, 2012 3:32 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Thanks for the suggestion but I have already tried that with no success. When the problem first occured this morning, the setting had been switched to blocked and not just outgoing. McAfee did that on it's own for some reason because I, nor anyone else messed with settings between uses which was only shutting my laptop and walking to a different room.. I set it back to full access with no success. I deleted it from the programs list and added it manually with full access with no sucesss. Two other computers on my network are running Internet Security and Chrome is working fine on them.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Scott

Windows 7

Internet Security

Nov 23, 2002
    5. Mar 10, 2012 4:26 PM (in response to scottiet1)

Tried deleting it and letting it throw the popup asking you at accept full outgoing etc? Try this rather than a manul setting though really it should work.

OK the setting to outgoing is an issue but default setting to block is not seen. I would try a tech support contact and escalate it .

I assume you haven't considered removing it and reinstalling

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.e xe

Reinstall from your account note that Malwarebytes and other free scanners need removing before installing Mcafee . You can reinstall them after.

Try setting the firewall to defaults first . Can chrome be reset as well?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/03/12 8:26:55 AM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

Mar 10, 2012
    6. Mar 10, 2012 4:44 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Hi,

Yes, I first deleted it from the programs list and McAfee did not pop up for permission when I reopened Chrome. That is why I added it to the list manually. I even uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it and McAfee did not pop up for permission so I manually added it again. I have not thought about uninstalling McAfee and reinstalling it due to it seems like a lot of work having to uninstall it and Maiwarebytes and reinstalling them both with not knowing if it will even work.

I was wrong. I am actually using Total Protection on this computer. I have a total of 5 computers on my network with 3 using Total Protection and the other 2 using Internet Security.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think it is a problem McAfee needs to address because I do not want to have to uninstall and reinstall on all 5 computers on the network if this happens to thew other computers.

Thanks again,

Scott

Windows 7 64 bit

Total Protection.

Nov 23, 2002
    7. Mar 10, 2012 9:43 PM (in response to scottiet1)

Try as I mentioned t reset the firewall to defaults. Also check your smart advice setting in The firewall settings and set it to let me decide maybe That will make it ask permission.

I will ask the mods who have chrome whether it asks permission then take my suggestions from there.

If you call support I guarantee they will suggest reinstalling. It takes about 30 minutes including Malwarebytes.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

Nov 23, 2002
    8. Mar 10, 2012 11:21 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

Is the other Total protection PCs doing the same?

Have you run Mcafee virtual technician?

On Tech support page

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points