3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2012 1:21 PM by tyomni

Computer at Risk?

Hello everybody, I am just wondering and a little bit confused about my Mcafee Internet security anti virus(active), a "computer at risk" message shows up saying it can't update my mcafee and I must check my internet connection. I did check my net connection a couple of times and seems nothing wrong about it. I tried to click the update button but then it says my antivirus is up to date and computer is secured? Pls help me, im worried  that my pc might not be protected from  viruses anymore. Tnx for your reply

• 1. Re: Computer at Risk?
          Dinz

Hi there ,

Security center might not detect an internet connection if there is a third party security software that interrupts the updates. So if you have any other security software installed on your PC, please try to uninstall them and then try updating McAfee.

Uninstall the other security software from Control Panel – Add/Remove programs (Programs & features in Vista/Win 7)

Also, their remnants from :

• C:\Documents & Settings\All users\Application data
          • C:\Program files\
          • C: C:\Program files\Common files

Clear Browser cookies

For Internet Explorer:

1. Open a new Internet Explorer window
          2. Click Tools, Internet Options.
          3. Click Delete for each of the items below (if listed):
            • Browsing History
            • Temporary Internet Files
            • Cookies
          4. Click OK or Close.

For Mozilla Firefox:  

1. Open a new Firefox window
          2. Click Tools, Options, Privacy.
          3. Under Private, click Clear Now.
          4. In the Clear Private Data" dialog, select Cookies.
          5. Click Clear Private Data Now.
          6. Click OK.

Then right click on M icon and select check for updates, if its still not detecting internet connection please get back to us .

Regards,

• 2. Re: Computer at Risk?

Wish I had a good answer for you but my computer started popping up a computer at risk message this morning also.  My real time scanning and antivirus protection kept shutting down and as soon as I opened them they shut down again.  Sometimes the computer would lock up when I tried to reopen them too since McAfee was using 100+% of the CPU.  I was able to run Malwarbytes and it didn't find any infection.  I finally used system restore to go to a point two days ago when I was sure everything was OK.  After that I had McAfee check for updates and it took quite a while to download and install an update.  Since then, my computer has been running OK.  I kind of wonder if an automatic download earlier didn't work quite right and was causing my problems.  Maybe that might work for you too. 

• 3. Re: Computer at Risk?

And if that doesn't helps try to reinstall Mcafee.