Having some similar issues. At times this has worked fine, other times not. I did find some DNS issues for us - DHCP is non-windows, and doesn't update MS DNS...Also found that ePO uses netbios names...might be some details in the subtask that will help.
Having similar issues. My mac shows up in the ePO but iPO won't push anything to the mac. I'll see if netbios names is an issue here. Any help will be appreciated. I've been watching this post since it went up. ~Thanks
Right now I'm able to push with ePO to the Macs over SSH using the root cred...if you have a consistent root cred. As for using AD, how are you binding AD to the Macs? Many of my DNS problems are going away since making some changes to DNS settings with our AD integration software. Cisco DHCP doesn't update Microsoft DNS, so it's up to the client to update DNS. Thought about using a hosts file in the ePO server, but that's a lot to maintain.
Our site had issues losing the Macs communication to ePO post ePO 4.5-4.6 upgrade. In attempts to regain control I learned that upgrading McAfee Agent from 4.5 to 4.6 rarely works - the upgrade iteself succeeds, but usually won't check in even when sent wake ups and command line options to collect/update/enforce locally from the agent 'managed' mac...But, if I then use Apple Remote Desktop to remove the agent with the 'unix' command /Library/McAfee/cma/uninstall.sh (run as root). and then re-push the MA 4.6, it checks in just fine even without a reboot.