1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2012 9:23 PM by earthtraveler RSS

McHlp 32.exe - Application Error -- Is this a legit pop-up notification?

earthtraveler

The subject notification appeared on February 27th.  I chose to ignore it and exited using the Task Manager.  On Febuary 28th. I had what I would call an on-line encounter wih McAfee Cunsumer Support during which I gave over control of the computer so that she/he could look at Manage Add-on screen to look at the red cirle with red \ going through it that was placed on Tool Bars and Extensions bar.  I had never seen this icon before; I know add-ons were enabled before and now are not; and this was the screen I was viewing when the McHlp 32 exe -- Application Error pop-up sign appeared.  I ran McAfee Virtual Technician before contacting McAfee Consumer Support and the representative was advised of the results which were:  !Problem: Product configuration XML file is missing -- Session ID 37890195,  The result of  the on-line encounter with McAfee Consumer Support was that there was too little RAM available and more was needed.  Frankly, there isn't much available RAM on the 512 MB system.  However, I can't understand the connection between RAM, McHlp 32 exe -- Application Error, and McAfee Virtual Technician findings.

My three questions are:

1.  Is McHlp.32 exe - Appkucation Error Legit?  The message on the notification was:  The instruction at "0x02fefa2b" referenced memory at "0x02fefa2b".The memory would not be "read".  Under the message:  Click on OK to terminate Program and Click on CANCEL to debug program.  And under Click directions were boxes for clicking.  This is where I chose to click on nothing and exit using the Task Manager. 

2.  If McHlp.32 legit, do you have any idea whether or not the action I took in question 1. resulted in the red icon?

3.  Is there any way to correct product configuration XML file missing without adding more RAM?  Perhaps, I should enter this question as a separate question -- whatever you recommend. 

Thanks

• 1. Re: McHlp 32.exe - Application Error -- Is this a legit pop-up notification?
          JaiPrakash

Hi there,

Please provide us with a screen shot of the error that would add more clarity onto the issue, additionally, please let us know the  operating system?

Thanks,

Jai

• 2. Re: McHlp 32.exe - Application Error -- Is this a legit pop-up notification?
            thecreator

earthtraveler wrote:

The subject notification appeared on February 27th.  I chose to ignore it and exited using the Task Manager.  On Febuary 28th. I had what I would call an on-line encounter wih McAfee Cunsumer Support during which I gave over control of the computer so that she/he could look at Manage Add-on screen to look at the red cirle with red \ going through it that was placed on Tool Bars and Extensions bar.  I had never seen this icon before; I know add-ons were enabled before and now are not; and this was the screen I was viewing when the McHlp 32 exe -- Application Error pop-up sign appeared.  I ran McAfee Virtual Technician before contacting McAfee Consumer Support and the representative was advised of the results which were:  !Problem: Product configuration XML file is missing -- Session ID 37890195,  The result of  the on-line encounter with McAfee Consumer Support was that there was too little RAM available and more was needed.  Frankly, there isn't much available RAM on the 512 MB system.  However, I can't understand the connection between RAM, McHlp 32 exe -- Application Error, and McAfee Virtual Technician findings.

My three questions are:

1.  Is McHlp.32 exe - Appkucation Error Legit?  The message on the notification was:  The instruction at "0x02fefa2b" referenced memory at "0x02fefa2b".The memory would not be "read".  Under the message:  Click on OK to terminate Program and Click on CANCEL to debug program.  And under Click directions were boxes for clicking.  This is where I chose to click on nothing and exit using the Task Manager. 

2.  If McHlp.32 legit, do you have any idea whether or not the action I took in question 1. resulted in the red icon?

3.  Is there any way to correct product configuration XML file missing without adding more RAM?  Perhaps, I should enter this question as a separate question -- whatever you recommend. 

Thanks

Hi earthtraveler,

When you open up McAfee Security Center, does it say Beta?

If it does, you posted in the wrong forum.

If it doesn't, what are the Build Numbers for McAfee Security Center and the Anti-Virus Component?

What is also your Operating System, Version i.e. Professional, Service Pack Level, and Bit 32 or 64?

Message was edited by: thecreator on 3/6/12 7:11:22 PM EST
            • 3. Re: McHlp 32.exe - Application Error -- Is this a legit pop-up notification?
              KatherineYH Hayes

You downloaded MCPR correct from here?

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

That does never flash up and give a message at least never in 6 years it has been around that I have seen.

Can you retry downloading it and running it pease sounds as if it is corrupted

• 4. Re: McHlp 32.exe - Application Error -- Is this a legit pop-up notification?
                earthtraveler

Operating system Windows XP, Service Pack 3, 32 Bit, Internet Explorer 8.

I was not able to find Beta any where on McAfee Internet Security.

McAfee Security Center:  Version 11.0        Build 11.0.654 last updated 2/8/2012

Anti-Virus Scan:  Version 15.0           Build 15.0.294  updated 3/5/20112

This was a one time pop-up, and I did not take a screen shot at the time.  I did write down a description of the pop-up. as mentioned in my original post (I just noticed that would not should have been could not) .  I will try to do this again and sort of show what it looked like.

McHlp.32 exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x02fefa2b" reference

memory at "0x02fefa2b".The memory could

not be "read". 

Click on OK to terminate Program and

Click on CANCEL to debug program. 

[empty box to click in]  OK        [empty box to click in] Cancel  (Upper and lower case

letters were used here --

not all upper case as in

Click instructions.)

• 5. Re: McHlp 32.exe - Application Error -- Is this a legit pop-up notification?
                  earthtraveler

To: the creator

Please see my reply to JaiPrakash dated March 7, 2012 for screen shot information.

• 7. Re: McHlp 32.exe - Application Error -- Is this a legit pop-up notification?
                    earthtraveler

I just ran McAfee Virtual Technician again and no problems were found.  Thus, please disregard the XLM missing file portion in my original post.  It has evidently been corrected.

Also,  I just noticed links on the right hand side of this Post page and decided to read.  Reply Post mcHlp32.3xe Application error by Dinz on 12/10/2011.    He says, "This seems like a critical virus infection."  And I read Reply Post Mchlp32.exe by Peacekeeper on June 6,2011, in which he says, ".....yes it pops up on mine only for and during updates."  There seems to be a difference of opinion!  At least others have seen it.

Thank you, thecreator, for asking for version and build types.  When I looked up this information, I noticed the last update dates.  As a result of trying to put two and two together to actually total four using the above information from those posts, I just rechecked entries in About McAfee.  There was a Boot DAT Creation Date of 2/27/2012.  This coincides with the date of the McHlp 32.exe Application error.  I can't prove they happened at the same instant, but this seems to be a logical assumption.  I am also going to assume the notification was legit, and I should have clicked on it to debug.

I am not going to pursue this issue further, however, conflicting information is confusing.

Thanks to all for your help!

• 8. Re: McHlp 32.exe - Application Error -- Is this a legit pop-up notification?
                      thecreator

earthtraveler wrote:

I just ran McAfee Virtual Technician again and no problems were found.  Thus, please disregard the XLM missing file portion in my original post.  It has evidently been corrected.

Also,  I just noticed links on the right hand side of this Post page and decided to read.  Reply Post mcHlp32.3xe Application error by Dinz on 12/10/2011.    He says, "This seems like a critical virus infection."  And I read Reply Post Mchlp32.exe by Peacekeeper on June 6,2011, in which he says, ".....yes it pops up on mine only for and during updates."  There seems to be a difference of opinion!  At least others have seen it.

Thank you, thecreator, for asking for version and build types.  When I looked up this information, I noticed the last update dates.  As a result of trying to put two and two together to actually total four using the above information from those posts, I just rechecked entries in About McAfee.  There was a Boot DAT Creation Date of 2/27/2012.  This coincides with the date of the McHlp 32.exe Application error.  I can't prove they happened at the same instant, but this seems to be a logical assumption.  I am also going to assume the notification was legit, and I should have clicked on it to debug.

I am not going to pursue this issue further, however, conflicting information is confusing.

Thanks to all for your help!

Hi earthtraveler,

You're Welcome. I asked about versions, because while I was running McAfee Total Protection 2011 on Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3, never saw the error, however with McAfee Total Protection 6.0 Beta, I have been experiencing this error message.

2012-02-17 - 32-Bit Helper Crashed.JPG

It is not a Pop-Up, but an Error Message, explaining it crashed. This was 2012-02-17. But I had it happened other times as well.

But I thought you had been running Beta as well. I did not realize that the program was also in the 2011 version, because I got no errors.

• 9. Re: McHlp 32.exe - Application Error -- Is this a legit pop-up notification?
                        thecreator

earthtraveler wrote:

What is a MCPR?

Hi earthtraveler,

MCPR = McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool.

1 2 Previous Next