1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 1:07 PM by epo_user_00

Performance issues with VSE 8.5

epo_user_00
      I'm new to this board, so I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered multiple times already here, but if you could even point me in the direction of other pertinent threads I would appreciate it. A quick search on the forum didn't find me what I was looking for.

Any tips for diagnosing performance degradation with VSE 8.5?

I'm running WinXP Pro SP3 with VSE 8.5i, Anti-Spyware 8.5, ePO 3.6.1, HIPS 7.0.

I run an On-Demand scan once a week and the On-Access scan 24/7. Periodically, my workstation will slow to a near halt. It does NOT seem to be high CPU utilization, but the hard drive thrashes non-stop for several minutes, during which my PC becomes darn near unusable.

It acts like it's doing an On-Demand scan, but it definitely isn't. I've checked all the logs and don't see anything unusual happening during these delays.

I also get pretty frequent delays in Outlook.

If I turn off McShield.exe, the behavior stops. I've also tried changing various settings and options but nothing seems to change. The only way to change it is by turning McShield off completely.

Does the On-Access component do anything periodically that would suddenly eat up system resources? Are there any tools you've used to help pinpoint exactly what is going on?

Oh, and one more thing. My On-Demand scan takes 8 hours to run. I do not know why.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Moved to the correct forum - MOD
        1 2 Previous Next