4 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 6:26 AM by mirrorless RSS

Help - Do not have Encryption Key

sparky8023

Is there anyway to create an encryption key if I know the Endpoint Encryption Password to unlock my drive? I am booting from  a SafeBoot CD and

it appears that I need an Encryption Key on a USB Drive. However, I do not have an exisiting encryption key. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Help - Do not have Encryption Key
          SafeBoot

Are you using a Mcafee product, or a HP product? It sounds like you are talking about Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools, which is not from McAfee...

If its working though, you probably don't need the key at all?

If its HPs product, I don't think you can recreate the keyfile without removing and re-enabling the protection.

• 2. Re: Help - Do not have Encryption Key
            sparky8023

I believe it was a Mcafee product as I had Mcafee loaded and when the system reboots I used to see a Mcafee Endpoint Encryption login screen. At this point the drive

will not boot. I am trying to mount the drive so I can retrieve the files on it but it shows up as a raw device. IIs there anyway to remove the encryption using SafeBoot without the encryption key? I have the password but I don't see an option to use the password. The only option I see is to provide a Data Encryption Key from a USB drive.

• 3. Re: Help - Do not have Encryption Key
              SafeBoot

Are you trying to use the HP disk tech utility to recover a corporate version of the product? If so stop, that won't work.

You need to contact your company It helpdesk and get them to help you out - they will have the tools needed to recover your machine.

Simon.

• 4. Re: Help - Do not have Encryption Key
                mirrorless

You knew the Endpoint Encryption Password to unlock your drive?

I believe your SBFS is wtill working which mean the key still stored in SBFS..

when boot to SafeBoot Cd- Try authenticate to SBFS - if you local authentication work you whould be able to remove it..