3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2012 10:26 AM by asabban

HTML filtering - removing section within Facebook

iain.gardiner

As well as stopping functionality within Facebook I would also like to remove the contents from the page. As an example I am trying to remove the Groups section on the left hand side. My rule is as follows:
      facebook_groups.bmp

This is based on the following info from Firebug:
      facebook_html.bmp

However the contents are still appearing.

Anyone any ideas?

Thx

• 1. Re: HTML filtering - removing section within Facebook
          asabban

Hi Iain,

welcome to the Facebook nightmare. I have been able to set this up once, but it is not that easy, unfortunately. FireBug shows you the source as it looks at the browser, once it has executed all JavaScript, etc. Facebook uses a technoloy called BigPipe. Basically the request to Facebook loads a "skeleton" of the website, without content, and all embedded content is coming in via Javascript "pagelets" (small pieces of Javascript which are executed on the browser and result in parsable code). If you look at the source using the "View Source" feature of Firefox instead of FireBug and search for "PageNav" you will see what I mean.

Since MWG does not execute the Javascript you will have to extract the "pagelets", and filter them by applying regexes or similar. I have an example somewhere but I don´t know if it is still working. If you are interested I can see if I can find it, maybe you can take it to build your own rules.

Best,

Andre

• 2. Re: HTML filtering - removing section within Facebook
            iain.gardiner

An example would be good Andre... thx

• 3. Re: HTML filtering - removing section within Facebook
              asabban

Hi Iain,

I just had a look but unfortunately my samples do no longer work at all since the Facebook site was completely changed, so they won´t help you. Maybe I find the time to create some new samples, but I cannot promise that at the moment.

Sorry,

Andre