7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 7:04 AM by toddunger

Steps that should be followed for a System to get the Latest DAT

kevin_27

Hi, I have been given a new responsibility of managing the McAfee Anti-Virus. I have been doing well thanks to you guys and surplus documents McAfee has published to make a life of an administrator easy. This Forum has been of great help to me.  Now as im new to McAffee, i was wondering why some PC's are not able to get the Latest DATs from the ePO. I could reason out a few

1. If we are unable to ping the ePO server from the PC- in short Network issue.

2. If the port 443 is not open

3. If McAfee service is not started

( And I guess there are lot more steps- if you can advise)

And i could alos see that the Systems which are pingable from the ePO console are still not getting the latest DAT. I tried Wake-up agents with Force complete policy option. But still Latest DAT is not updated.

Could you advise me the series of steps which i should follow to get the DAT updated.

• 1. Re: Steps that should be followed for a System to get the Latest DAT
          Tristan

Other reasons why a machine might not update

- Update task - If the machine in ePO doesn't have any DAT update task assigned to it and the local auto-update task has been disabled

- Security - If the machine is pulling it's DATs from a UNC repository and the security settings on that shared folder prevent it from downloading anything.

They are many reasons why a machine might not update. The simplest way to work out whats going on is to look at the agent log.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\Db  on XP

or

C:\Users\All Users\McAfee\Common Framework\DB on Win7

In the folder will be an "Agent_<computername>.log" file in there will be some indicating as to why they not updating.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Steps that should be followed for a System to get the Latest DAT

Dear Kevin,

Also Pls keep this in mind

• If Workstation PC Disk space is less tahn the required then the update may gets failed
            • If the previous update got corrupted the update may get failed
            • either the Clients not able to receive the task as well as policeies from the server(We can check using Agent status Monitor)
            • either the McAfee agent got corrupted

Pls collect the not updated PC from your system tree try to deploy the agent witrh the option "Force install over existing version"

• 3. Re: Steps that should be followed for a System to get the Latest DAT
              kevin_27

Thanks a lot Tristan...

Im just consolidating the List., so if our Forum Friends can add more

4. Update task - If the machine in ePO doesn't have any DAT update task assigned to it and the local auto-update task has been disabled

5. Security - If the machine is pulling it's DATs from a UNC repository and the security settings on that shared folder prevent it from downloading anything.

And definitely the Logs will be very useful

Any more steps?

• 4. Re: Steps that should be followed for a System to get the Latest DAT
                kevin_27

Thanks Lakshmanan,

Updating the consolidated list...

4. Update task - If the machine in ePO doesn't have any DAT update task assigned to it and the local auto-update task has been disabled

5. Security - If the machine is pulling it's DATs from a UNC repository and the security settings on that shared folder prevent it from downloading anything.

If Workstation PC Disk space is less tahn the required then the update may gets failed

7. If the previous update got corrupted the update may get failed

8. either the Clients not able to receive the task as well as policeies from the server(We can check using Agent status Monitor)

either the McAfee agent got corrupted

10. Pls collect the not updated PC from your system tree try to deploy the agent witrh the option "Force install over existing version"

Any further steps...

• 5. Re: Steps that should be followed for a System to get the Latest DAT

Also try to create server task for McAfee DAT not updated PC(create query for DAT not Updated) so that you will get mail alert regarding the DAT not updated PC's list.You will get brief idea how many PC's are not updated

• 6. Re: Steps that should be followed for a System to get the Latest DAT
                    kevin_27

Hi Everyone,

Shall i conclude that the listed steps should be enough for System to update the DAT:

If Workstation PC Disk space is less tahn the required then the update may gets failed

7. If the previous update got corrupted the update may get failed

8. either the Clients not able to receive the task as well as policeies from the server(We can check using Agent status Monitor)

either the McAfee agent got corrupted

10. Pls collect the not updated PC from your system tree try to deploy the agent witrh the option "Force install over existing version"

11. Also try to create server task for McAfee DAT not updated PC(create query for DAT not Updated) so that you will get mail alert regarding the DAT not updated PC's list.You will get brief idea how many PC's are not updated

Any other steps to be followed:

• 7. Re: Steps that should be followed for a System to get the Latest DAT

What entries do you see in the Agent Status Monitor?

Try to manually (from the client) pull the DAT from the ePO (not from task) and then from the McAfee repository to see if it's a problem with just the ePO or the DAT in general (corrupt).  At that point grab the SuperDAT executable for the latest DAT from McAfee's site and manually install it on the system.  Try the manual update from the system again for ePO and McAfee.  Then try the task.

You can also try reinstalling the agent manually.  Just copy the Framepkg.exe over.  Make sure to Run as Administrator if Windows 2008 or 7.  Then try again.

-Todd