1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 4:19 AM by Peacekeeper RSS

McSvHost.exe - Application Error?????

bulshadouw

I keep getting this error that goes as follows:

McSvHost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x04d5e4b0" refference memory at "0x117204d9". The memory could not be "wrttien".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

I have already downloaded the McAfee "virtual technician" but this has found no problems with my McAfee program. I currently have Windows xp and when i go to "about" on my McAfee program i get the following:

McAfee securityCenter

Version: 11.0

Build: 11.0.654

Last update: 2/13/2012

McAfee VirusScan

Version:15.0

build: 15.0.294

Last Update2/25/2012

Any idea what could be causing this???

• 1. Re: McSvHost.exe - Application Error?????
          AlienwareAR

Hello.

I've that problem too. For me, the solution is to disable Net Guard.

You can find the Net Guard menu under firewall settings.

• 2. Re: McSvHost.exe - Application Error?????
            knsingh

Hi

Follow the below steps

1.Run disk clean

• For XP
            • Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type cleanmgr, and then click OK.

2.Run Checkdisk

• To perform check disk
            • Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
            • In command prompt type chkdsk c: /r
            • Assuming c:\ drive is local disk volume on your computer.
            • If you get a mesage just pres Y and hit enter and restart the computer.

3.Run Disk Defragmentation on your computer.

• Open My Computer.
            • Right-click the local disk volume(c:\) that you want to defragment, and then click properties
            • On the tools tab click Defragment now
            • Click defragment

After completing the above steps you may work o nthe computer and please let us know if you still have issues.

Thanks and regards,

Krishna Nandan Singh

• 3. Re: McSvHost.exe - Application Error?????
              Peacekeeper

knsingh

As I said in your other post re this this is an XP only issue so defrag etc should not be the cause.

bulshadouw

1 netguard can cause this

2. installing alcohol 120% can (fix available) Also uninstalling this program not by the included uninstall program can leave the issue happening.Any program or shortcut with a % sign in it can cause the issue.

3.Do you have adobe air or tweak ui installed. These are 2 common programs with 3 posters with this issue. Not saying they are the cause but noting this .

• 4. Re: McSvHost.exe - Application Error?????
                bulshadouw

What exactly is "netguard"? and alcohol 120%? and i dont have adobe air nor do i have tweak ui.

i ran a chkdsk and defrag and cleaned my pc. i also ran a registry cleaner that removed old MSO files that had been left behind (CCleaner)

• 5. Re: McSvHost.exe - Application Error?????
                  Peacekeeper

Open Mcafee security centre and go to web and email protection. open firewall and you will see netguard. Disable it and see if this helps. it is a tempory fix till netguard fix comes. this not happening to every1. My XP install is very stable.

Alcohol 120% is a burning software more commom than I realised. Having it installed will cause mcsvhost error popups so it was found out. I confirmed this by installing it on the previously stable XP test Pc I use. The issue was caused by the % symbols in the shortciuts and start menu items.

So after cleaning did it stop the errors

• 6. Re: McSvHost.exe - Application Error?????
                    klauzser

I also have Alcohol 120% in my computer and I can't afford losing it before it is very useful for what I do everyday. Is there a way McAfee can choose not to read this program or at least give it permission to run freely?

• 7. Re: McSvHost.exe - Application Error?????
                      Peacekeeper

Yes there is a FAQ I will get for you easy to fix .Just rename all shortcuts with % in them and start menu folders and shortcuts. Easy to do I tested it myself

Read

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101320

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/02/12 6:44:24 PM
                      • 8. Re: McSvHost.exe - Application Error?????
                        AlienwareAR

@ bulshadouw

Hi.

To fix that McSvHost.exe error, I really suggest you to disable Net Guard.

For me it works!

To do this follow the steps written by Peacekeeper.

• 9. Re: McSvHost.exe - Application Error?????
                          Peacekeeper

Mate if he (klauzser has alcohol 120% he will have this error caused by the % sign in links and shortcuts. Once he fixes that maybe netguard issue comes into play but usually 1 issue only is the cause. Why we are seeing so many different causes and 1 unknown cause and others like my test box is stable I do not know but am trying to dig into this. I will bash the techs re this tomorrow in our call.

1 2 Previous Next