I've that problem too. For me, the solution is to disable Net Guard.
You can find the Net Guard menu under firewall settings.
Follow the below steps
1.Run disk clean
- For XP
- Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type cleanmgr, and then click OK.
- To perform check disk
- Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
- In command prompt type chkdsk c: /r
- Assuming c:\ drive is local disk volume on your computer.
- If you get a mesage just pres Y and hit enter and restart the computer.
3.Run Disk Defragmentation on your computer.
- Open My Computer.
- Right-click the local disk volume(c:\) that you want to defragment, and then click properties
- On the tools tab click Defragment now
- Click defragment
After completing the above steps you may work o nthe computer and please let us know if you still have issues.
Thanks and regards,
Krishna Nandan Singh
1 of 1 people found this helpful
As I said in your other post re this this is an XP only issue so defrag etc should not be the cause.
1 netguard can cause this
2. installing alcohol 120% can (fix available) Also uninstalling this program not by the included uninstall program can leave the issue happening.Any program or shortcut with a % sign in it can cause the issue.
3.Do you have adobe air or tweak ui installed. These are 2 common programs with 3 posters with this issue. Not saying they are the cause but noting this .
What exactly is "netguard"? and alcohol 120%? and i dont have adobe air nor do i have tweak ui.
i ran a chkdsk and defrag and cleaned my pc. i also ran a registry cleaner that removed old MSO files that had been left behind (CCleaner)
Open Mcafee security centre and go to web and email protection. open firewall and you will see netguard. Disable it and see if this helps. it is a tempory fix till netguard fix comes. this not happening to every1. My XP install is very stable.
Alcohol 120% is a burning software more commom than I realised. Having it installed will cause mcsvhost error popups so it was found out. I confirmed this by installing it on the previously stable XP test Pc I use. The issue was caused by the % symbols in the shortciuts and start menu items.
So after cleaning did it stop the errors
I also have Alcohol 120% in my computer and I can't afford losing it before it is very useful for what I do everyday. Is there a way McAfee can choose not to read this program or at least give it permission to run freely?
Yes there is a FAQ I will get for you easy to fix .Just rename all shortcuts with % in them and start menu folders and shortcuts. Easy to do I tested it myself
To fix that McSvHost.exe error, I really suggest you to disable Net Guard.
For me it works!
To do this follow the steps written by Peacekeeper.
Mate if he (klauzser has alcohol 120% he will have this error caused by the % sign in links and shortcuts. Once he fixes that maybe netguard issue comes into play but usually 1 issue only is the cause. Why we are seeing so many different causes and 1 unknown cause and others like my test box is stable I do not know but am trying to dig into this. I will bash the techs re this tomorrow in our call.