1 2 3 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2015 5:06 AM by Peter M

Windows Erroneously blames McAfee VirusScan for Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe Not Working - Actually Media Center To Blame

hagrinas

I've been getting a message in Windows 7 Action Center that says:

"Address a problem with McAfee VirusScan

McAfee VirusScan has stopped working properly.

McAfee, Inc. recommends that you go online to their website to check for the latest support information and product updates"

Unfortunately, there's nothing in McAfee's support system that comes up when I search for the subject of this post. It would make life easier if McAfee would post an answer to this.

Here's the solution that worked for me:

1. Click on "View all problems this applies to" at the bottom of the window.

2. Click on the "Source" for any entry and look at the application path.

In my case, the source is "Windows Media Center Store Update Manager" and the "Faulting Application Path" is C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe.

To put if simply, the McUpdate that is failing has NOTHING TO DO WITH McAFEE. It's part of Windows Media Center, and is a native part of Windows, yet Microsoft can't figure that out.

The problem is that Microsoft's message sends users to McAfee to look for a solution, and none is available.  Using the MCPR tool does not help, for obvious reasons, making the problem even more frustrating.

McAfee should have the following question in a FAQ somewhere: "I keep getting a message that I need to 'Address a problem with McAfee VirusScan' but I don't have any McAfee products installed. What do I do?

Answer: try steps one and two, and then blame Microsoft.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/02/12 6:39:51 EST PM
        • 1. Re: Windows Erroneously blames McAfee VirusScan for Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe Not Working - Actually Media Center To Blame
          Peter M

You can safely tell Windows 7 Security Center to stop issuing warnings, as long as your McAfee SecurityCenter is green at the time you get the warning.   There is often a delay between starting the computer and when Windows decides to recognize whatever security software is installed.   McAfee actually controls Windows Security Center so as long as the software is saying things are OK, then they are.,

Putting up a FAQ item regarding mcupdate.exe could be a risky proposition as there is an mcupdate in both Windows Media Center and in certain McAfee software, both Consumer and Enterprise, particularly older versions.  I suppose there could be legal repercussions.   I'm sure that support are aware of the fact, however and thanks for bringing it up.

On my machine there is a mcupdate folder at C:\ProgramData\McAfee\MCLOGS\CoreTech\McUpdate\

You might want to post it on a Microsoft forum though as an issue with Windows Security Center sending incorrect messages if you are sure that it wasn't simply a coincidence the the ehome entry was there at the same time as the warning.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/02/12 6:40:19 EST PM
          • 2. Re: Windows Erroneously blames McAfee VirusScan for Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe Not Working - Actually Media Center To Blame
            hagrinas

That's not correct. If a person doesn't have any McAfee products installed, there's no McAfee SecurityCenter to turn green or purple or any other color.  The situation I'm describing is one with computers where there's no McAfee product installed, but Microsoft is giving a message blaming McAfee.

Putting a message about MCUpdate would not be a problem if the message tells users to click to see which one it is. As far as legal problems,  McAfee has plenty of grounds to take legal action against Microsoft for telling users it's McAfee's fault when it isn't, and when their products aren't even installed on the system. It's not a legal problem to tell users that if MICROSOFT'S MESSAGE has a link at the bottom of the window and if MICROSOFT'S LINK points to MICROSOFT'S PROGRAM, then it's Microsoft's responsibility.

To solve the problem, I found plenty of threads and plenty of  "solutions" but most of them said I need to run the MCPR tool because McAfee might have put software on my system without my knowledge. Telling me they did so, especially when it causes things to blow up and McAfee can't help me, makes things look bad for McAfee. If you research it enough, you will get the impression that McAfee put a trojan on your system at some point when you failed to uncheck a box somewhere for a free scan. But that's not what's happening.

What I found in plenty of places on the Web were searches from people who got that message AND had no McAfee software installed. It makes sense to tell people that if they don't have AV installed, they should check to see what the offending module is.

Regardless of any action McAfee takes, if this forum is indexed well enough by search engines, people will find it and realize that if they get that message and don't have the product installed, this might be their problem.

As far as legal issues, does it help to know that users like me were irate, and were posting all sorts of things blaming McAfee since Microsoft said it was McAfee at fault?  If I hadn't figured that out, I would have been actively going out of my way to tell people to avoid McAfee like the plague and use MSE instead, so they don't end up with a problem that can't be cleaned up. At this point I'm furious at Microsoft for doing something so stupid when it's abundantly clear whose fault it is. This isn't guesswork or checking to see if a message exists by coincidence and putting 2 and 2 together. This is a case where the Microsoft message has a link that EXPLICITLY shows that it's a program in Media Center.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/02/12 6:40:39 EST PM
            • 3. Re: Windows Erroneously blames McAfee VirusScan for Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe Not Working - Actually Media Center To Blame
              Peter M

Well I could alter the header of your first post and subsequent ones to read something like Windows blames McAfee for mcupdate problems when it's actually Media Center or words to that effect?

Google and other search engines pick these threads up almost immediately as the forums aren't private.

I think the problem is that mcupdate used to be a McAfee file and now belongs to Microsoft.   Ours is now mcupdmgr or something similar.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/02/12 6:41:10 EST PM
              • 4. Re: Windows Erroneously blames McAfee VirusScan for Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe Not Working - Actually Media Center To Blame
                hagrinas

That sounds good to me.

But I only half agree with you about what the problem is. It's not that McAfee used to have an McUpdate. It's that Microsoft does, includes it in just about all versons of Windows, and doesn't recognize that it's their own software.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/02/12 6:41:32 EST PM
                • 5. Re: Windows Erroneously blames McAfee VirusScan for Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe Not Working - Actually Media Center To Blame
                  Peter M

Well we can't really tell them sort out their information but customers can.   People should be telling them about their mistake.    I would if I had experienced the mistake myself, and I have ehome\mcupdate in at least 5 systems here.

Anyway I'll think up a suitable change to the header here and edit accordingly.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/02/12 6:41:48 EST PM
                  • 6. Re: Windows Erroneously blames McAfee VirusScan for Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe Not Working - Actually Media Center To Blame
                    hagrinas

Once they find this thread, anybody who gets that message can click on Microsoft's "is this helpful" button that comes with that message. Hopefully that will eventually lead somewhere.

It shouldn't be too hard for MS to let Windows know who owns McUpdate in the ehome directory, and hopefully it will go one step further since MS will be in a position to actually fix the problem that causes the error in the first place once they know it's theirs to fix. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Windows Erroneously blames McAfee VirusScan for Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe Not Working - Actually Media Center To Blame
                      Peter M

By the way I'm going to pass this back to our contacts at McAfee on our next conference call...next Monday afternoon.

• 9. Re: Windows Erroneously blames McAfee VirusScan for Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe Not Working - Actually Media Center To Blame
                        Peter M

A FAQ will appear soon on the Support website and the problem has been passed onto Microsoft who are looking into it.   Time to resolution unknown.   Support may (only a remote possibility) ask you for logs but I doubt that will happen.

1 2 3 Previous Next