5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 12:12 AM by celavey

Help Please! Question about virus on External Hard Drive

Hi,

My parents McAfee virus scan recently showed up as detecting 3 files containing the Trojan Exploit virus Exploit-CVE2010-840. Thing is, this virus was located in files contained in their external hard drive, not on the computer. The rest of the full scan was clean other than these items. This being said, is it possible for this virus to have infected the computer itself? The reason I ask is sensitive info was typed into that computer during the same time period this virus would have been on the external hard drive (which was plugged in at the time). Is there anything to worry about with possibly stuff from the computer being accessed or stuff keylogged, or would a separate file/virus have had to been downloaded to do this since this is an exploit virus? Any knowledge on this is appreciated as I certainly am not an expert on this topic! Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Help Please! Question about virus on External Hard Drive
          spc3rd

Hello mmtf2b and welcome to the McAfee Community Forums!

Until some of our more knowledgeable forum members and Moderators can arrive to review your post and offer you their respective advice, would you please be so kind as to provide the following information which will help them assist you better:

1.  Name of both your computer AND the external hard drive.

2.  What operating system are you using.

3.  Name of the McAfee VirusScan product you are using including the current version number.  (Please also indicate if all updates are current as well).

4.  How is the external hard drive connected to your computer.

5.  Have you run a full scan of your computer with McAfee, if so, what were the results.

6.  Do you have any other security software on either your computer or the external hard drive, if so, please provide the names of each.

(E.g. Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, etc).  Also, have you run any type scans with any other security product besides McAfee?

7.  Is the external hard drive being used to store ANY files or folders which are ALSO stored on the computer?

Thank you for your cooperation!  Be assured...with all the many very knowledgeable members/Moderators we have here...we'll do our best to help get you fixed up!

Best regards,

on 24/02/12 4:29:18 EST PM
          • 2. Re: Help Please! Question about virus on External Hard Drive

This was on my parents computer. They are not great with technology and I live 4 hours away from them, so I may not have all the info. Just looking for a general answer on whether viruses on external harddrives that are not on the computer can still steal info from the computer they are plugged into.

Heres the info I have:

1- Computer is a dell desktop, external harddrive is a western digital my book.

2- operating system is windows 7

3- They have McAfee total protection, don't know the version number as I do not have access to their computer right now, but it was the updated version at the time.

4-External drive was connected by USB

5- Yes, full scan was performed and this is how we found the issue. 3 Files located on the external hard drive contained the trojan virus "Exploit-CVE2010-0840" also under them and indented was another file listed with a name containing the word "downloader". The Files had been on the external hard drive since last november, but the hard drive had not been plugged in again until recently and this was the first time it was scanned.

6-No other security software.

7-Yes, I believe the hard drive is set to back up files on the computer occasionally. I am more concerned with data that was typed into the actual computer while the hard drive with the virus was plugged in.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Help Please! Question about virus on External Hard Drive

to #5- the "downloader" files looked like they were incorporated into the original finding of the trojan exploit, as both were listed together for each 1 of the 3 detections.

• 4. Re: Help Please! Question about virus on External Hard Drive
                Peter M

mmtf2b wrote:

to #5- the "downloader" files looked like they were incorporated into the original finding of the trojan exploit, as both were listed together for each 1 of the 3 detections.

It's just possible that they are false findings of course.  In which case read here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

But working on the assumption it's a real threat, if McAfee detected them on the external drive then it would certainly have done the same on all drives.

To be on the safe side try a Safe Mode scan - that will only scan the internal drive of course, but a wise precaution.  Tap F8 repeatedly while booting up to reach Safe Mode.

Then open Computer on either the desktop of the Start Menu and right-click the hard drive and seleect 'Scan'.  It takes a while and the only clue it's working is to hover over the taskbar icon.

Once finished all should be OK, but I recommend a scan using both Stinger (once and then uninstall as iut doesn't get updated) and Malwarebytes Ffree (NOT Pro) both linked here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

Those are best done in regular mode.  Post back if there';s a problem.  I moved this to Malware Dicsussions / Home User Assistance by the way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/02/12 4:38:12 EST PM
                • 5. Re: Help Please! Question about virus on External Hard Drive

Try running a full scan while your external hard drive is inserted. Your anti-virus should be able to detect it and add it to scanning.