3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2012 9:26 AM by SafeBoot

Encryption of roaming machines which are not in domain or network.

pkale

I installed EPO server.In my company some users are always in company's network means in domin.And some are roaming users(which is in US,UK).

I want to encrypt machines which are roaming users.Using following steps I am going to encrypt the machine

Copy EE Agent & EEPC setup from the following patch on you ePO Server For EE Agent--->C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\EEADMIN_1000\

For EEPC--->C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\EEPC\

Copy both this folders CD & Install(Frst you need to install EE Agent & then EEPC).

Before installing  EE Agent & then EEPC I will insall Mcafee agent.

So please let me know is it possible to encrypt hdd of those machines which are not in company's network.It will not connect to epo server.

Also let me know that suppose machine is in company's network but not in domain so is it possible to encrypt machine?

• 1. Re: Encryption of roaming machines which are not in domain or network.
          jmcleish

I think for those machines you should use EEM (Endpoint Encryption Manager) which is not domain reliant and has its own separate install and console from ePO. It should be available in your downloads section if you have EEPC for ePO.

Message was edited by: jmcleish on 24/02/12 04:18:38 CST
          • 2. Re: Encryption of roaming machines which are not in domain or network.
            pkale

Hi,

Can you please explian me in detail.

Suppose My epo server is in india and some users are in US at that scenario can I encrypt laptop using Mcafee eepc.

When users come back in india and connect laptop to companys network, will it report to epo server.

• 3. Re: Encryption of roaming machines which are not in domain or network.

Yes, you can encrypt them with EEPC5, but NOT with the EPO version of EEPC (version 6).

the reason is EEPC6 can only work if the machines are connecting to EPO, and the EPO server itself needs to be able to see those users in an Active Directory server it's connected to.

Since your machines can't connect to EPO, then you can't use EEPC6.

Now, if your machines can connect to EPO (and EPO can connect to AD), prior to the users going away, then EEPC6 will work fine - but to install and activate

1) EPO must be able to see the users in AD

2) The machine must be able to connect to EPO.

EEPC5 is simpler, because it's a pure TCPIP product with its own built in user management, so you dont' need a connection to EPO (though you DO need a connection to the EEPC server sitting somewhere on the internet), and you don't need AD (though you can use it if you have it).

So, it all depends on how much connectivity your users have, and when.