1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 6:49 AM by HAFOTA

How silently install Mcafee EPO agent

1.) How silently install Mcafee EPO agent ?

2.) How do i silently install VSE 8.7.0i from EPO or from any centralized place ?
        • 1. RE: How silently install Mcafee EPO agent
          Laszlo G
          If you are installing McAfee Agent from ePO just check the "do not show install GUI" when deploying it.
          When you deploy VSE through ePO it allways do it silently
          • 2. RE: How silently install Mcafee EPO agent
            as far as 2nd point of view is concern how do i install the VSE from EPO kindly let me know if you have any step-by-step guide
            • 3. RE: How silently install Mcafee EPO agent
              Laszlo G
              You first need to check the VSE package into ePO's repository through Software->add new software.

Once done you just need to create de deployment task through Systems->tasks->new task->deployment (mcafee agent)->VirusScan->install
              • 4. RE: How silently install Mcafee EPO agent
                ePO's repository through Software->add new software

i go to Master Repository-->Package in Master Repository. but i have not found the add new software

Although in the Package in Master Repository the VirusScan Enterprise is present
                • 5. RE: How silently install Mcafee EPO agent
                  Laszlo G
                  You may also need to install VSE 8.7i extension into ePO for deploying the package.

Into your VSE870lml.zip file you will find a VIRUSSCAN8700.zip file (it's the extension).

Just check it into ePO through Config->Extensions->add new extension and try your deployment again
                  • 6. Hope this helps
                    This is an easy way to autodeploy to your enterprise. It's a bit long winded, but it's because I have the passion.

Automatic Enterprise Deployment
                    1. Configure the AD sync option to run every X days @ 9 AM (for example) to bring in new computers accounts from AD into EPO. Configure the sync tool to auto install the Agent on new computers.
                    2. Configure a deployment task for VSE 8.7i that runs immediately.
                    3. Configure an update task that runs daily at 12 PM (our AD import takes 90 minutes, but your import may take longer or shorter depending on size of network).

This will cause the following to happen:

1. New clients are imported at 9 AM, and they get the agent installed. The agent performs an ASCI which talks back to the EPO Server and downloads the latest policy and tasks, which instruct the agent to immediately deploy the VSE 8.7i package. The package may take 10 minutes in a fast environment or hours in a slow environment. At noon the McAfee Agent autoupdate starts and the products are updated to the latest level. NOTE: all this timing takes tweaking to fit your environment. Bigger networks mean potentially longer times if they span WAN links or depend on multiple repositories.

This sounds like what you're trying to achieve. Some immediate notes; you do need to register the VSE extensions that shipped in the VSE 8.7i zip file that you downloaded from McAfee. Be default EPO 4.0 only shipped with 8.5 extensinos. You also take that same ZIP and check it into the repository to gain the ability to deploy VSE product from the EPO Repository via Deployment tasks. Make sure to configure your VSE Tasks to pull from the master repository at least 4 times a day. Depending on traffic you task may hit the master repository when it's extremely busy and unable to respond. Out of my 4 tasks a day, usually 2 will fail, and my Internet line is a DS-3 running @ 45 MBps speed.

Now, we like to control our server farm installs, so our Operations team uses the following CMD script to deploy product. It's an all in one script based on years of running EPO, and it depends on an extracted VSE 8.7i folder being shared out with a customize EPO agent install.

It performs the following steps:

1. Removes old products and agents
                    2. Installs the latest agent
                    3. Installs the latest product(s), which for me is VSE 8.7i + ASW
                    4. Initiates an immediate ASCI followed by policy enforcement to ensure that correct options are configured.

* there is one bug you need to be aware of. The product ships with the dat/engine at the time of packaging, and sometimes the first scheduled autoupdate by a McAfee agent fails, so I strongly advise you to manually run the update from the agent systray icon and verify it ran successfully.

I hope you enjoy it....

ECHO OFF
                    ECHO *********************************************************************
                    ECHO Written by Brandon Baker, EA - 9/19/05 - version 1.2
                    ECHO Revised by Brandon Baker, IT Security - 12/18/08 - version 1.3
                    ECHO Revised by Brandon Baker, IT Security - 1/08/09 - version 1.4
                    ECHO Completely removed all reinstallation commands for VSE - allowing the agent to reinstall VSE.
                    ECHO Revised by Brandon Baker, IT Security - 1/12/09 - version 1.4a
                    ECHO Added uninstall string for VSE8.5
                    ECHO Revised by Brandon Baker, IT Security - 2/23/09 - version 1.4a
                    ECHO Added install strings for VSE 8.7i for Servers.

ECHO Setting System Variables

SET EPOSERVER=\\yourserver\yourshare

ECHO Your EPO Server is %EPOSERVER%

ECHO Stopping the McAfee Framework Service - Ignore "Service Not Found" Errors

net stop "mcafeeframework"
                    net stop "mcshield"
                    net stop "mctaskmanager"

ECHO Removing the EPO 2.5 Agent, if present

if exist %SystemDrive%\epoagent\*.* %SystemDrive%\epoagent\aginst32.exe /remove

ECHO Removing the EPO 3.x Agent - please be patient (may take 2-3 minutes)

if exist "%ProgramFiles%\network associates\common framework\*.*" "%ProgramFiles%\network associates\common framework\frminst.exe" /remove=agent /s

ECHO Removing the EPO 4.x Agent - please be patient (may take 2-3 minutes)

if exist "%ProgramFiles%\mcafee\common framework\*.*" "%ProgramFiles%\McAfee\Common Framework\frminst.exe" /Remove=Agent /Silent

ECHO Removing VirusScan Enterprise 7.0, if present

msiexec.exe /x {1912F734-6580-4620-8AFD-ECCCEA19CDE2} REMOVE=ALL REBOOT=R /q

ECHO Removing VirusScan Enterprise 7.1, if present

msiexec.exe /x {59224777-298D-4E9C-9AEB-4A91BDA01B27} REMOVE=ALL REBOOT=R /q

ECHO Removing VirusScan Enterprise 8.0, if present

msiexec.exe /x {5DF3D1BB-894E-4DCD-8275-159AC9829B43} REMOVE=ALL REBOOT=R /q

ECHO Removing VirusScan Enterprise 8.5, if present

"%ProgramFiles%\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\scan32.exe" /UninstallMAS
                    msiexec /x {35C03C04-3F1F-42C2-A989-A757EE691F65} REMOVE=ALL REBOOT=R /q

ECHO Removing VirusScan Enterprise 8.7, if present

msiexec /x {147BCE03-C0F1-4C9F-8157-6A89B6D2D973} REMOVE=ALL REBOOT=R /q

ECHO Installing the EPO 4.0 Agent in Force Mode - please be patient (may take 2-3 minutes)

%EPOSERVER%\Agent\framepkg.exe /install=agent /s /forceinstall

ECHO Installing the Windows Installer Update - please be patient (may take 2-3 minutes)

%EPOSERVER%\VSE87\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe /passive /norestart

ECHO Installing VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i - please be patient (may take 5 minutes)
                    ECHO DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW - THE PROGRAM IS WORKING

%EPOSERVER%\VSE87\SetupVSE.Exe /passive /norestart

ECHO Installing VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i APW Module - please be patient
                    ECHO DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW - THE PROGRAM IS WORKING

%EPOSERVER%\VSE87\ASEM870LALL\VSE87MAS.Exe REBOOT=R /SILENT

ECHO Starting the McAfee Framework Service

net start "mcafeeframework"

ECHO Downloading and Enforcing EPO 4.0 Policy

if exist "%ProgramFiles%\McAfee\Common Framework\cmdagent.exe" "%ProgramFiles%\McAfee\Common Framework\cmdagent.exe" /p /e /c /s
                    if exist "%ProgramFiles%\Network Associates\Common Framework\cmdagent.exe" "%ProgramFiles%\Network Associates\Common Framework\cmdagent.exe" /p /e /c /s

ECHO Done
                    • 7. RE: How silently install Mcafee EPO agent

thanks for you kind reply ulyses31
                      . i am very closer i think. may you plz help me bcuz i have not found VirusScan->install

My 2nd question. can i forcefully deploy VSE8.7.0i from EPO4.0.0 whenEver i want
                      • 8. RE: How silently install Mcafee EPO agent
                        jmaxwell
                        Have you checked in the VSE package in as suggested/necessary ? - did it work ?

...and yes you can force managed clients to install VSE - if you need to repair a broken installation or you will need to use the deployment task to try tom uninstall it and then reinstall it again.

If an earlier version of VSE is on the clinets it's recommened that you use the deployment task to unistall the old version first and install the new version.

Jim
                        • 9. RE: How silently install Mcafee EPO agent
                          Yes i have registered the VIRUSCAN8700.zip in the Configuration-->Install Extension.

( i just want to install VSE at the client from EPO server:( )
                          1 2 Previous Next