Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
91211 Views 146 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2013 7:32 PM by daleinwastate RSS 1 2 3 ... 15 Previous Next
DerekShaw Apprentice 65 posts since
Oct 28, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2012 1:58 PM

mcshield.exe and 100% CPU still a problem

I, like many it seems, am having problems with mcshield.exe of the InternetSecurity Suite taking up 100% CPU quite often and making my computer almost unusable until it clears. I have not carried out a fresh install of McAfee,just kept it up to date. Looking in the forum I see that this problem goes back well into 2010. There I found posts referring to a Hotfix which cured this problem in November 2010. I could though not find any link to download thisHotfix.

Why was this fault, which is clearly still a problem, not cured by the normal regular updates? Is it still going to be fixed in this way or do I need to get this Hotfix? If so please could you advise how I can download and install it.

Dell Dimension 3100 with 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 and 2 Gbyte RAM

Windows XP Professional SP3 kept up to date.

Derek Shaw

• flogger Apprentice 55 posts since
    Jan 6, 2012
    1. Feb 22, 2012 6:59 PM (in response to DerekShaw)
    Re: mcshield.exe and 100% CPU still a problem

This is part of McAfee Virus Scan. Mcshield.exe constantly monitors your computer's running processes, accessed file and registry to detect virus activity. It is one of the core components to the virus protection offered by the McAfee virus scanning software and should not be stopped. If it is stopped your computer will not be protected from viruses. Mcshield.exe is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing McAfee Shield may adversly impact your system.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
  • corncacher Newcomer 1 posts since
    Feb 24, 2012
    3. Feb 24, 2012 11:24 AM (in response to DerekShaw)

I have the same problem. About once a week, my computer virtually locks up due to McAfee running a scan at 100% cpu. It takes forever just to bring up the task manager to see what's up - though I no longer need to do this, as I now know it is always McAfee. I don't have permission to kill the process (what's up with that, btw? I am the admin), so the only solution I have found is to restart the computer -- which takes about 15 minutes, since the cpu is slogged. Heaven help me if I haven't saved my work. My subscription runs out in a couple months. Needless to say, I won't be re-upping unless McAfee fixes this problem.

• rpars0ns Newcomer 5 posts since
    Mar 23, 2012
    6. Mar 23, 2012 9:26 PM (in response to DerekShaw)

I have this problem all the time, as well, many times a day. I tried to follow your instructions, but I am running Windows Vista and I don't see anything called McAfee Anti-Spam Service. I do see Firewall Core Service, McShield, Network Agent, Personal Firewall Service, Proxy Service, Scanner, Security Scan Component Host Service, Services, SiteAdvisor Service, Validation Trust Protection Service and VirusScan Announcer. Any thoughts as to whether I could/should disable one of these to fix the problem? Thanks for your help!

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,363 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    7. Mar 24, 2012 4:08 AM (in response to rpars0ns)

It is there in Win 7 2nd Mcafee entry 1st is Mcafee anti malware. I wonder did you install anti spam?

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• newjack Veteran 1,172 posts since
    Dec 5, 2009
    9. Mar 24, 2012 12:16 PM (in response to DerekShaw)

This Issue dates back Years.The Issue has gone on for so long McAfee decided to start a new thread.They will of coarse say these are all different Issues 4 different situations.

Here is a Link that dates back years https://community.mcafee.com/thread/24530?start=0&tstart=0  & one of the many reasons I will probably never use Mcafee again.Good luck

1 2 3 ... 15 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points