5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 7:01 PM by member

How to config ppoE on Firewall s2008' Interface ?

Hi everyone,

I have a FTTH line via a ISP, I want to connect the Internet through the firewall with this line. How do i config ppoE on interfaces of firewall s2008?

Please, help me.

Thks in advance.

• 1. Re: How to config ppoE on Firewall s2008' Interface ?
          PhilM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news once again. But, much like, your question regarding DHCP server functionality, you are asking for something which McAfee Firewall Enterprise doesn't support - and in the the 13 years I've been working with it has never supported, to my knowledge.

You will need a router, which will perform the PPPoE negotiation and provide an standard Ethernet connection to the Firewall appliance's external interface.

I have not yet worked with any customers who have FTTH installations, but in each installation I have worked on the ISP provides a router for the connection (which doesn't perform any network address translation) and a range of public IP addresses (depending on the purchased service). One of these addresses is applied to the Firewall's external interface and it's default gateway is configured with the IP address assigned to the ISP-supplied router.

On the rare occasions (rare in my case) where it is necessary, the Firewall's external interface can be configured to obtain it's address from the ISP using DHCP.

But PPPoE? Unfortunately not.

-Phil.

• 2. Re: How to config ppoE on Firewall s2008' Interface ?

I believe since version 8.x they implemented PPPoE on the firewall. I know for certain it is there in v8.2.1 but can't say which version it was released if not at v8.0.0.

It can only be configured through the CLI. For more information look at 'man cf_interface'.

cf interface add|modify name=<name> [entrytype=pppoe]

[hwdevice=<nic>] [zone=<name>] [mtu=<integer>] [enabled=yes|no]

[qos_profile=<name>] [description=<description>]

[local_address=<ipv4>] [remote_address=<ipv4>]

[add_default_route=yes|no] [add_dns_servers=yes|no]

[account_name=<string>] [account_password=<string>]

• 3. Re: How to config ppoE on Firewall s2008' Interface ?
              PhilM

Well, I didn't know that!

11+ years exposure and I'm continuing to learn new things about it. I based my original response based on what I could see in the GUI. But you're absolutely right, it is possible to use the "cf interface" command you've listed to create a PPPoE-enabled entry on the Firewall.

Good find

I have access to a v8.1.2 firewall in addition to my main v8.2.1 one. I've looked at the cf_interface man page on the 8.1.2 box and can confirm that the PPPoE configuration option is also available in this version.

on 22/02/12 14:12:20 GMT
              • 4. Re: How to config ppoE on Firewall s2008' Interface ?
                sliedl

>> How do i config ppoE on interfaces of firewall s2008?

>> It can only be configured through the CLI. For more information look at 'man cf_interface'.

>> cf interface add|modify name=<name> [entrytype=pppoe]

[hwdevice=<nic>] [zone=<name>] [mtu=<integer>] [enabled=yes|no]

[qos_profile=<name>] [description=<description>]

[local_address=<ipv4>] [remote_address=<ipv4>]

[add_default_route=yes|no] [add_dns_servers=yes|no]

[account_name=<string>] [account_password=<string>]

You answered your own question.  Use 'cf interface' to configure a pppoe interface.  The man page is all the information there is on PPPoE interfaces.  There are no guides or KB articles about it.  Once you have tried to set it up yourself you can paste the audits here if there are errors and we can take a look at them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to config ppoE on Firewall s2008' Interface ?

Thks both of you, sfcu & sledl.

I'll try it.