1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2012 11:17 AM by mat.kordell

EMM 9.7: Deployment Helper check failure -  Google

Attila Polinger

Hello,

we are rolling out EMM 9.7 in our company on a single server model in the DMZ and after struggling long with fixing deployment helper check failures, now this last one remained.

Can someone of you please explain what this check is and how to fix it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Task Name : Reach Google C2DM, Task Result : Failure, Task State : Completed

2012.02.21. 11:56:12  : Reach Google C2DM - Started

2012.02.21. 11:56:12  : Reach Google C2DM - Retrieving Auth Token From : https://www.google.com/accounts/ClientLogin

2012.02.21. 11:56:13  : Reach Google C2DM - Connecting... https://android.apis.google.com/c2dm/send

2012.02.21. 11:56:14  : Reach Google C2DM - Response : Error=MissingRegistration

2012.02.21. 11:56:14  : Reach Google C2DM - Finished

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards:

Attila

Message was edited by: apoling on 21/02/12 12:17:29 CET
        • 1. Re: EMM 9.7: Deployment Helper check failure -  Google
          rlourenco

Hi

I have the exact same issue

• 2. Re: EMM 9.7: Deployment Helper check failure -  Google
            mat.kordell

I just ran the deployment helper and see that I'm getting the same message as well.  We aren't using androids though.  Have either of you gone through the install process any way and seen if you androids work as expected?

• 3. Re: EMM 9.7: Deployment Helper check failure -  Google
              Attila Polinger

Nothing is actually installed yet from EMM other than DH was run. Some local external expert was asked and he thinks that either of these could cause this:

1. firewall issue

2. cert issue

3. other server issue

As for #1 our host should see anything on the internet through dest port 443 as I was informed. Also I would not think (but apart from that, is possible) that certificate issue is in the background (MDM cert was issued by McAfee and portal cert was issued by a public CA that is in local cert store of this host.) We'll see.

We migrate the host to a new firewall that allows for more detailed logging and will inspect what is happening...

We have lots of androids here

Attila

• 4. Re: EMM 9.7: Deployment Helper check failure -  Google
                mat.kordell

I wouldn't think that it's a certificate because the MDM cert and portal certs are apple things and the ssl cert is easy enough to tell if it's broke.  And I'm very confident that all of my certs are good and yet I'm having the problem.  Unless it is something internall that is not editable in the interface or install process.

Maybe firewall but not likely since there seems to be communication with the c2dm but then you get back an error.  I googled it and it seems to be a common error when dealing with c2dm but it's mostly developers looking for help writing their apps.

• 5. Re: EMM 9.7: Deployment Helper check failure -  Google
                  rlourenco

Hi Guys

My issue sounds very much like the answer that Attila mentioned.  I have a certificate from EssentialSSL which is a trail SSL certificate but i dont think the devices understand it.  This is not the first EMM i have installed  but it is the first version 10.0.1 i have done and is the first time i am getting these issues.  I need to check if this CA provider is on the list as when i try provision a device, i get a message in the event viewer on my external EMM server saying the device cannot build a trust to the certificate authority and then fails when trying to install the certificate/profiles on the devices.  So it does actually authenticate.

I will keep you posted once i find more info unless someone knows where i can find a list of supported certificate authorities for Apple devices as those are what i am provisioning at this customer currently.

• 6. Re: EMM 9.7: Deployment Helper check failure -  Google
                    mat.kordell

We're actually talking about androids specifically but here is the list of CAs included in ios 5.  Have fun it's a long one.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5012

• 7. Re: EMM 9.7: Deployment Helper check failure -  Google
                      rlourenco

Hi Mat

My appologies.  I am getting 2 different discussions confused here.  Although, again i think my certificate from EssentialSSL is a problem.

• 8. Re: EMM 9.7: Deployment Helper check failure -  Google
                        Attila Polinger

Guys,

today morning I was emailed to by a T2 engineer, who confirmed that the C2DM Google check failure is a false positive. He said:

The C2DM tests on the Deployment Helper are not functional at the moment. The task failure is a false positive.

As long as port 80 outbound is open on the EMM proxy or there is another route in place to reach the Google C2DM servers then there shouldn't be any problems with it and you can safely ignore the failure status of the task.

I hope this piece of news gives some of you relief.

Attila 

Message was edited by: apoling on 29/03/12 08:33:01 CEST

Message was edited by: apoling on 29/03/12 08:33:35 CEST
                        • 9. Re: EMM 9.7: Deployment Helper check failure -  Google
                          mat.kordell

Dang McAfee... I love EMM and all, especially the road map, but get your stuff together.  This thing is just so buggy and it makes supporting and administrating a pain!  You should implement a new policy, if a feature doesn't work either fix it or leave it out of this release but don't just keep putting out software jam packed with known bugs and leave the bugs in place release after release.

Sorry for the rant but this bug is just one in a pile of bugs I run into every day and with every release I'm hoping this will be the one that the bugs get fixed.

1 2 Previous Next