6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 3:58 PM by Peter M

Perfect operation until McAfee install?

This is a new one for me and I'm far from being a novice.  Maybe you can help slow my spinning head down.

PC: hp Pavilian dv7 model

Att's Uverse 2wire router with Firewall protection disabled since July 2011

Physical specs: Intel Centrino 2/quad processors - 6Gig RAM - 550Gig Hard Drive C: - 2GHz

Last MS Defender sweep before McAfee install, Februrary 16th @ 3am 

Spybot full scan run Februrary 16th @ 5am and disabled by 8am before McAfee install just to be sure.

Windows Firewall disabled before McAfee install too.

Software system requirements for this Att supplied, McAfee sponsored program:

• Microsoft® Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 (SP4) or higher, Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or higher, Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1), Microsoft Windows® 7

• Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or later or Mozilla Firefox 1.5 or later (Beta versions not supported)
      • Personal computer with Pentium-compatible processor 500 MHz or higher
      • 256 MB RAM or higher 

Installed Att's security suite: McAfee VHNT internet security Secuity.

I just got this information FINALLY from Att's tech support so it is more than likely that McAfee has made a security suite tweaked especially for Att customers.  Problem is.. Att has no clue how to fix it.  I do not doubt that McAfee can help me get rid of any and all precious little pieces left behind (I've already uninstalled and run their something, customer, product removal program so it is unlikely that is anything left of this security software unless the program made some change to my registry that was not restored or removed and I may know a lot about computers but not even I am going to mess with the registry unless I am very sure I know what I'm doing.

Ultimately, getting rid of this software way not be much issue anymore unless, like I said... the registry thing... the problem is, the damage and hold it seems to have left behind after being removed.  I still have no access to several programs that McAfee determined were risky and sites that require my loggin info are being banned as well. 

Before install:  PC running at peak performance

After install and uninstall:  Administrator (me) has virtually no control over vital areas of my own computer and browser(s) (Firefox, Google Chrome, or IE).

I disabled all browser plugins from McAfee as well as extensions it had installed, I went in and added my login sites that are legit into my "safe and accepted" security within Windows and the router, and I've verified my administrative controls over programs that McAfee's installation locked me out of.  I even recovered my computer to a point before the program was installed and I'm still right where I ended up before McAfee was installed.

Now I realize that there could have been a sparatic chance flying by in the wind that caused this trouble coincidentally when McAfee was installed but my gut tells me that's not likely to be true.  I would appreciate any advice possible from you folks that might restore the functionality of my computer.  I am working on my master's online.  I must have a functioning computer.

At this very moment, My computer is wide open and vulnerable.  I hesitate to turn on any form of security until I isolate and resolve this problem just on the off chance that adding or enabling other forms of security will cause more damage. 

Thanks for help folks!  Don't know what I'd do without your assistance.  God knows I do not want to have to format C: and start from scratch.

• 1. Re: Perfect operation until McAfee install?
          Peter M

Try uninstalling Spybot as it causes problems with McAfee.  Other anti-malware software if you need it, McAfee and 3rd Party, is mentioned here: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

The installer automatically disables Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.  The latter can be renabled afterwards.

Windows 7 should have Service Pack 1, not sure if you have that or not as people often say they are up to date when they aren't, no offense meant.

Also try updating Internet Explorer to IE9 if not already done as McAfee uses that.

Then uninstall via Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a Program, run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of the page.

Reboot, run the McAfee Preinstall Tool and then install your product again from the online account.

AT & T need to update their system requirements somewhat:

Supported Operating Systems

Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or higher

Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or higher

Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) with Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Compatible with Windows XP Compatible with Windows Vista Compatible with Windows7

System Requirements

1 GHz processor or higher

512 MB RAM or higher for Windows XP

1 GB RAM or higher for Vista/Windows 7

500 MB of available free drive space

Internet connection

Supported Browsers for Anti-Phishing

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher

Mozilla Firefox 3.5 or higher

Google Chrome 6 or higher

Supported Email Programs

POP3 – Windows Mail, Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Netscape, IncrediMail and Thunderbird

MAPI – Outlook

Web email account with POP3 access

Supported Instant Messaging Programs

AOL Instant Messenger 2.1 or higher

Yahoo Messenger 4.1 or higher

Microsoft Windows Messenger 3.6 or higher

MSN Messenger 6.0 or higher

Required for Anti-Spam Toolbar Plug-In

Outlook Express 6.0 or higher

Windows Mail

Outlook 2003 or higher

Thunderbird 1.5 or higher

Anti-Spam also supports any other POP3 email client (without SSL) and web accounts

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/02/12 3:47:15 EST PM
          • 2. Re: Perfect operation until McAfee install?
            Peter M

Moved to SecurityCenter.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Perfect operation until McAfee install?

That must be it.  Disabling Spybot must be the problem.  I wasn't offended but just to make sure I knew what I was talking about, I was actually surprised to find just how many updates that have been installed since Win (sp1).  Doesn't matter I supose, if Win 8 is going to launch.  We'll see if I risk that OS.

Thanks for the help.

• 4. Re: Perfect operation until McAfee install?
                Peter M

It'll be a while before Win 8 is launched as it's not even in beta release yet.   I have the developer version on a Virtual Machine and quite honestly, it needs a lot of work, but it's early days yet.  McAfee beta isn't yet compatible with it but should be eventually.

• 5. Re: Perfect operation until McAfee install?

Great!  Too much too fast with MS for my comfort.  Thanks for the advice.  Turns out I've already uninstalled Spybot (which did what it said it would but I found more efficient ways to do it) but I don't think it was uninstalled during the McAfee so I'll working it again.  Thanks for the quick help!  Problem resolved in my opinion.  I'll mark it.

• 6. Re: Perfect operation until McAfee install?
                    Peter M

OK, good luck ;-)