7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2012 11:20 AM by Peter M

E mail virus but I can't find it

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie, please forgive me if I do this wrong!

We've had a virus attack on my pc that hijacked my wife's e mail address book and sent out 4 e mails to her contacts each of which contained a link as the e mail content.

Windows is fully up to date, as is her AVG protection. I have used AVG, McAfee online free check and the latest Stinger to run checks while in Safe mode, all based upon the Read This First info on the McAfee website. No virus has been found - frustrating or what!

I also got these e mails on my laptop (which has the full McAfee Security Centre on it) - nothing found there either.

What do you suggest please? How can I find out what it is? I am now contemplating doing a system restore, but would like to know about the infection.

Thankyou all

• 1. Re: E mail virus but I can't find it

This is me again. I omitted to say the e mail account is Hotmail.co.uk, that's where the fake e mails were sent from.

I shall use Malwarebytes to check it now.

• 2. Re: E mail virus but I can't find it

You can use Malwarebytes, make sure it's updated too. Since the Hijacker already have those email contacts, there's nothing that you can do but to filter thise emails either by sender's address or any keyword.

Not all security softwares are 100% accurate since the online threats are evloving almost every second( I might be exxagerating). Have you tried the Mcafee free version with the latest version?

If you really want to get rid of this, there is a last option. Only do this when there is nothing left for you. You can reload your OS, make sure your files are backed up tho since this will delete everything in your computer. Like restoring it to factory default.

Good luck.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: E mail virus but I can't find it
              Peter M

Moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance as a more appropriate spot.

There may be no infection at all actually as some malware can spoof the 'from' address and simply steal someone else's address book.   Especially true if there's nothing in the sent mail folders. 

Best to be on the safe side though.   Malwarebytes (free version) is recommended but update it before running.

If not try the Hijackthis routine mentioned at the bottom of the following page on that machine.

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

• 4. Re: E mail virus but I can't find it

Many thanks, I have run Malwarebytes and found nothing but I'll keep it installed anyway for safety. I have used System Restore to go back to the beginning of the month. I think re-installing the OS is a steamhammer to crack a nut. I shall maintain a watchful eye on her sent folder....

I'll close this discussion now

Kind regards, John

• 5. Re: E mail virus but I can't find it
                  Peter M

So the problem is solved for now?   That's good.    Don't forget to apply Windows Updates and McAfee's also.  

• 6. Re: E mail virus but I can't find it

A Big Thank You Peter,

Many thanks, I have run Malwarebytes and found nothing but I'll keep it installed anyway for safety. I have used System Restore to go back to the beginning of the month. I think re-installing the OS is a steamhammer to crack a nut. I shall maintain a watchful eye on her sent folder....

All is looking good but will look at the Hijackthis option anyway

Kind regards, John

• 7. Re: E mail virus but I can't find it
                      Peter M

Good luck ;-)