5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2012 12:28 PM by Dinz

PatternExplorer.exe : False positive error message and software in Quarantine

I try to download a well know safe software "PatternExplorer.exe" version 3.75 from the site  www.patternexplorer.com/download.html

I receive an error message indicating the virus Artemis!864E11DCE431 which is a false positive.

The sofware producer confirms that everything is fine with his softwware and the other antivirus do not generate any trouble with it.

The software is not new, this version is not new and many users could use it with any security issue.

I have sent the zipped version (pssworded protected) to the lab at virus_research@averlabs.com. I receive the message:

Automated analysis was not able to determine that this file is malware. This file is being sent for further processing and the DAT files will potentially be updated if    

detection of this sample is warranted.       

After 6 days, I have still not reached any progress. The software has also sent an email to the support without any success.                                        

I need to install the software and to run regularly the software PatternExplorer.exe.

Has anybody face the same problem with this software?

How could I obtain that McAfee would move forward on this topic as I need this software urgently?

Thanks in advance for your help!

br

KHM

• 1. Re: PatternExplorer.exe : False positive error message and software in Quarantine
          Dinz

Hi khm,

Hope the email you sent was addressed to virus_research@avertlabs.com ????? Did you receive any submission ids on the automated  response . Can you please update us with it.

Additionally, please submit the file here : http://virustotal.com  and provide us with the MD5  you receive on the site.

Till time being if you are sure that the software is legit and harmless, you may disable McAfee Real time scanner  and use the application ;

Steps to Disable Real time scanner ;

1. Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
            2. Click Navigation and select the Real-Time Scanning link.
            3. Click Turn OFF
            4. Return to the main Security Center page and verify that Real-Time Scanning remains off.
            5. Close Security Center.

Thanks,

• 2. Re: PatternExplorer.exe : False positive error message and software in Quarantine

Hi Dinz,

Yes, I confirm that I have informed virus_research@averlabs.com with the following answer:

McAfee Labs - Beaverton                                                               

Current Scan Engine Version:5400.1158                                                 

Current DAT Version:6619.0000                                                         

Thank you for your submission.                                                        

Analysis ID: 6911112

File Name            Findings                       Detection                    Type         Extra

--------------------|------------------------------|---------------------------- |------------|-----

patternexplorer[1].e|inconclusive                  |                            |            |no  

inconclusive [patternexplorer[1].exe]                                                              

Automated analysis was not able to determine that this file is malware. This file is  

being sent for further processing and the DAT files will potentially be updated if    

detection of this sample is warranted.                    

Info frin Virustotal :

SHA256:

c254ea484dc17a225e7adf4253252e64ee2a332d0fa9046c3c58cd9e0c5fda3b

File name: PatternExplorer.exe

Detection ratio: 5 / 44

Analysis date: 2011-08-31 14:49:00 UTC ( 5 mois, 3 semaines ago )

I would not like to disable the rea-time scanning because this software is not alone running on the PC and the risk is too high that another software could be a problem.

I really need a fix from your side. Thanks!

• 3. Re: PatternExplorer.exe : False positive error message and software in Quarantine
              Dinz

Hi khm,

The false positive on this software has been handled accordingly . Can you please try to install the software and let us know if the issue persists!!!!

Thanks,

• 4. Re: PatternExplorer.exe : False positive error message and software in Quarantine

Hi Dinz,

It is now OK.

Thanks a lot!

KHM

• 5. Re: PatternExplorer.exe : False positive error message and software in Quarantine
                  Dinz

Glad that you are Ok now .

Issue resolved & Discussion locked