4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 3:30 PM by tesdall

can't start McAfee McShield service and On-Access scan

bhamill
      On one of my servers, running VirusScan 8.5.0, patch level 5, Win2003 with SP2, I cannot start the On-Access scan. At startup, VirusScan console shows Access Protection, BO Protection, and On-Access scan all disabled. I can start AP and BO, but not the On-Access - it doesn't even appear to start and fail, it just doesn't respond. Event ID 5022 from McLogEvent in Application Event Log says MCSCAN32 Engine Initialisation Failed. Engine returned error: 1

McAfee Framework Service and Task Manager services are started. McAfee McShield is paused, and gives this error when I attempt to resume it: "Could not resume the McAfee McShield service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, call your system administrator."

(I love that "call your sys admin." Who do they think is usually seeing these messages?)

I've attempted (based on some forum searches) to force-run an SDAT update; it ran but didn't fix anything, I've removed and reinstalled the software, also with no change.

What's stopping this service, and task, from starting?